Hello From Chicago

hdjr23

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Been looking around the forum for a few weeks trying to educate myself. Looking to upgrade 5 old Samsung analog dome cameras outside and add 3 new cameras inside the house. Very little lighting outside the house so I was looking for a good camera for low light situations. Also need a standalone NVR.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
hdjr23,

Welcome to the forum!

Since you started with that Samsung analong system, you're up the camera learning curve a bit.
Here's things you might already be considering;
- the existing Siamese cables (coax + power) will either be replaced w/ Cat6? Or will you try to continue to use those? This will affect your NVR choices.
- You had domes outside. Consider not using domes for outside. Turrets get good grades for aesthetics.
- Plz elaborate on your motivation/objectives. eg:
--- You mentioned low light performance. Consider the Dahua Starlight models reviewed on this site, in depth.
--- Trespass detection? Then "trip-wire" and "intrusion zone" features may be valuable.
--- Don't expect camera Motion Detection to be worthwhile outdoors. Too many false alerts.
- Best to stick w/ one vendor for NVR and cameras. Avoid mix-n-match.

Fastb

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hdjr23,

Welcome to the forum!

Since you started with that Samsung analong system, you're up the camera learning curve a bit.
Here's things you might already be considering;
- the existing Siamese cables (coax + power) will either be replaced w/ Cat6? Or will you try to continue to use those? This will affect your NVR choices.
- You had domes outside. Consider not using domes for outside. Turrets get good grades for aesthetics.
- Plz elaborate on your motivation/objectives. eg:
--- You mentioned low light performance. Consider the Dahua Starlight models reviewed on this site, in depth.
--- Trespass detection? Then "trip-wire" and "intrusion zone" features may be valuable.
--- Don't expect camera Motion Detection to be worthwhile outdoors. Too many false alerts.
- Best to stick w/ one vendor for NVR and cameras. Avoid mix-n-match.

Fastb
Very good advice here !

tommyd75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would also consider using these PALUN devices made by Everfocus if you can't pull new Cat-5 to the existing locations.

http://www.everfocus.com/downloads/Product_Spec/Palun_Datasheet.pdf

They have helped me out tremendously when retrofitting old coax systems when I cannot pull new cable easily. It will save lot of time.
They will allow you to use the coax and use any IP Poe camera you like. They are kinda pricey at about 100 bucks for a set but worth it if your cable runs can't be done easily. I would try and replace cable to Cat-5 if you can though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk