Hello, Intro, Thanks!

Daniel_C

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I wanted to take a moment to say thanks to all of you folks that have contributed to these forums in the past. The posts have been AWESOME resources for my camera/security thinking.

I'm a mid aged family man living in the North Suburbs of Minneapolis. Over the past 10 years, the need for different types of security systems has become apparent to our family. We have had numerous car break ins, assorted vandalism, daytime burglars next door and all sort of asshat type behavior. We also have a 7 time felon a few doors down that is waiting until after 'pandemic' to be sentenced for his latest conviction. Sigh. Regardless of the reasons, there is a need for security cameras in our home.

After several years of doing a few things wrong, I figured it was time to develop a PLAN. Previously, I had used a SWANN camera/NVR kit purchased on the cheap 6ish years ago. It worked for my needs, but we had a few events that lead me to upgrading. I also used decommissioned cell phones as IP cameras with and without cloud based services... In a word, underwhelming. At 1 point, I had 9 devices being managed by "Alfred" (I collect used phones), several Arlo wireless cameras and a few other things going on. Yea, my network took a hit and things really didn't work out the way I wanted.

I'm in the middle of upgrading my entire camera/security suite. I purchased BI and have it up and running with 1 Amcrest 2496EB 28MM cam so far, testing the waters and using it as a baseline as to where I go from here. So far I'm pretty happy with the ease of setup and functionality of Blue Iris, but the learning curve is steep developing a fully effective and efficient security plan.

Baby Steps.

Anyhoo, thanks all to you folks that have contributed in the past. You have made my day easier.

-Daniel

Daniel_C

n3wb
Reaction score
I mounted the Amcrest temporarily on a 6' photo tripod that hasn't seen use for years. This allowed me to move it from different places and see how different angles, ups downs, sides to sides and also mobile while testing. Nice. Of course, these tests are only from 6' so far.

That being said, I move the setup out to my back yard to see how well it works for a nature camera. (I adjoin 180 acres or so of public acreage, lots of critters) It will work nicely, once I figure out cabling!!!

As a whim, I pointed the camera straight up at the sky then checked out what I saw. I'm impressed that even pointed S, about 6 miles from downtown Minneapolis, the camera/software/my monitor still sees stars in the sky. Little things. Now I want a sky camera.

-Daniel

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello Daniel, welcome to the forum. I think you are wise to take "baby steps". Sounds like you have already been doing some reading such as the wiki I presume:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

As said by @gwminor48 , baby steps are good. Yes, the curve can be steep but read-read- read before acting, then read again ( @SouthernYankee 's fav saying).

You joined a week ago...great! I joined in 2014 and am still learning, as the tech surrounding us is very dynamic, and our individual situations and needs can also change.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If your camera is still mobile, be sure to point it in the southwest sky just after dark this evening (Dec 21st) to catch the conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn...a once in a lifetime event. These two planets have not been this aligned at night since the middle ages. In Nebraska it'll be viewable just after dark, but if I wait too long, it'll be over the horizon and gone. Your camera will see it better than your eyes. The ‘Great’ Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn