Help hardwiring a wireless PIR

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When a spec sheet says 10V MAX for something like the ssr output, that doesn't mean it will operate well close to that voltage. That's the point where damage will occur, but since 9v was leaking I'd say stay under 7.2V. If you use an opto isolated relay module you can use 12V signaling back to your sealevel and run more current without damaging the ssr in the detector.

I made a schematic showing how to power it from 12V stepped down to 5V and use an opto isolated relay for the signal:
View attachment 20243
You'd need a 5V opto isolated relay module like this: 5V 1 Channel Relay Module With OPTO Isolation High And Low Level Trigger | eBay

And a 12V to 5V converter/regulator, something like this would work: Amazon.com: Icstation AMS1117-5 DC Voltage Regulator Step Down Power Supply Module 6.5V-12V to 5V 800mA (Pack of 5): Industrial & Scientific EDIT: may not work load may be too small, you could always test with a really big resistor.
or this one which costs more but should work:7805SRH-C Murata Power Solutions Inc. | Power Supplies - Board Mount | DigiKey
You don't need that much current for the motion detector and relay, no need for a big converter. You'd have to weatherproof / insulate these a bit (heat shrink tubing might work) but they're small enough to fit inside the motion detector with the relay module (hopefully).

This setup would also allow you to power the motion detector without batteries.
Hi Tangent

Its been a while since I've posted. All the above has been working flawlessly so far and I do still think of all the help you provided, it just wouldn't have been possible without your guidance.

But I have another modification I'd like to do, which would hopefully make the system more reliable. As you may recall, all my PIRs were set up as normally open and wired to the Sealevel DIO device. However, to make the system more intruder-proof i'd like to convert them all to normally closed. Now this is very easy to do I know, but there is one complication. On the drive way, I have TWO 12 volt hardwired PIRs connected to ONE Sealevel DIO input. With the PIRs set as normally open this is not a problem as if one or the other is triggered or even if both are triggered it can trigger the sealevel input (by the way these are not the wireless PIRs we modified to hard wired, these are originally 12 volt hard wired). However, if they are set to normally closed, then this will not trigger the Sealevel input unless both PIRs are triggered and the circuit is broken. The reason I can't use a separate sealevel input for each of the two driveway PIRs is because there are only 4 inputs on the sealevel and 3 of them have been taken up for all of the other sides of the detached house. But the driveway does need two PIRs due to so many obstacles, large shrubs etc, which makes it easier to bypass a single PIR.

Now, I have been looking at your schematic above, and believe it will work (correct me if i'm wrong). However, am i right in thinking that we will need to use a PULL DOWN resistor with the opto-relay (12v input version) instead of a pull up as the two PIRs will be set to normally closed? I could then connect both the normally closed inputs of the two PIRs to the ONE input line of the opto-relay module and then feed the NC output of the opto-relay to the sealevel input?

Would be great if you or anyone else could provide help/schematic here :)

Thanks

Ishaq

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ishaq Mir

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, I figured it out!! it was so simple!!! lol

Just connect the alarm outputs (+ve) of each NC PIR in series.