Help me start please

drabina

n3wb
Reaction score
Little intro: I am new to the IP cameras. I would like to get two cameras (one for front of the house and the other one for the back). I can either wire them using PoE or they can work over wi-fi with just the power cable. They can record to my QNAP NAS that can act as NVR.

I did some reading and everybody seems to recommend the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z. There are also some new models that Dahua just released. My main requirements are ability to record when movement is detected, internet-based viewer so I can check cameras from anywhere and reliability. Anything else comes second.

Is the camera mentioned above still a good buy? Am I missing anything from the setup? Any recommendations would be helpful. My budget is rather small ($500) but since I already have the NAS that I can connect the cameras to, I think I only need to buy cameras and PoE switch, correct? I have two spools of Ethernet cable that I can use to wire the cameras. Is there a limit to PoE length?

Dxue

n3wb
Reaction score
as far as i know, the camera that you picked out works fine. it also depends on how big the area is that you need to cover. and if you need to zoom or not. the price of the camera and a switch should not be near 500 dollar, as the 2 camera's should cost around 320 dollar and a poe switch is already available around 80 dollars. the lenght of the cable can usually reach up to at least a 100 meter if the quality is good.