Help me understand camera "Profile"

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What are the different profiles (Normal, Day, and Night) used for and does the camera automatically switch to different profile? Obviously, Night is for nighttime and Day is for daytime. What about "Normal" (or "General")?

I just installed the IPC-T5442T-ZE and I set exposure settings differently between Night and Day/Normal. However, during nighttime, the camera stays on the Day profile (shorter exposure settings). It does switch to B&W but I would expect it to switch to the "Night" profile settings as well. Should it automatically switch to "Night" profile?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, it is a quirk about the system. In commercial settings, there is enough light at night that they just run one profile and the day/night option only does as you said - it stays in one profile and just switches to B/W

Some of the cameras all that the function does is switch it from color to B/W and infrared, but it uses the same settings for both (ie like you said using the normal setting 24/7 but only switching to color or B/W based on light). That works well for Dahua's intended customer that are businesses that usually have enough light.

So the profile change has been a big issue for us trying to use these in residential settings. Options include:
  1. Use the sunrise/sunset utility a member wrote so that it will actually switch between day and night profiles.
  2. Use the PTZ "hack" in BI to force it to the day or night profile if you use BI
  3. Go into the camera schedule and set up when to switch profiles based on time. Unfortunately that means you have to go in several times a year and adjust it based on the changing sunrise/sunset.

teaser7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response and a clear explanation with different options to solve the problem. I do not use BI, but will take a look at the other options. Thanks again!