Help me understand Dahua NVR and OpenVPN?!?

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the NVR16CH-16P-2AI from Andy. I have a Asus router and have OpenVPN setup on it and on my phone. I have the whole system up and going very well thanks to many people on here! The only thing I have not setup is remote viewing/notifications. I do not have P2P enabled on the NVR.

My Questions:

1) How can I remotely view my system on my phone?

2) If I use OpenVPN to tunnel back in to my home network, how do I get in to my NVR to view the cameras?

3) What’s the best way to get notifications from NVR to phone?

4) I also have a IPad on Verizon network. If I setup OpenVPN would it be any different to mobile view?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The same way you connect at home in your wifi. The vpn essentially puts you in your couch at home with a beer (or preferred beverage). Yes iPad would act the same with OpenVPN
For the phone/ipad the app is DMSS

3- get DMSS setup first, then you can work on notifications. DMSS will do that

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do you use DMSS to mobile view your system also? I’m assuming DMSS you don’t use OpenVPN and you have to use P2P? Do you by chance know a way to remote view without using P2P? Thanks man!!

Reaction score
I use DMSS when I’m home or away. Same app, same settings. If I’m home and on wifi I open DMSS, if I’m away I open the OpenVPN app, slide the switch over and when it connects open DMSS

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use DMSS when I’m home or away. Same app, same settings. If I’m home and on wifi I open DMSS, if I’m away I open the OpenVPN app, slide the switch over and when it connects open DMSS
Thank you for the reply! Do you still have to setup P2P on the NVR?

Reaction score
Unfortunately DMSS is not available at the moment. If you haven’t downloaded it already try Amcrest View Pro 2. Use IP/Domain/DDNS to add your NVR

Address: is the IP address to your NVR
Device Name: whatever you want to call it

Reaction score
It was working for me too for the most part. I don’t believe DMSS was my problem but I thought I’d delete and redownload only to find out it’s pulled from the app store at the moment

Reaction score
You should be able to switch wifi off, open OpenVPN and when it connects, open DMSS. Everything should work like you’re on wifi just a bit slower depending on your home internet up and cellular down connection speed

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you use DMSS to mobile view your system also? I’m assuming DMSS you don’t use OpenVPN and you have to use P2P? Do you by chance know a way to remote view without using P2P? Thanks man!!
For remote viewing you use DMSS regardless of how you connect, OpenVPN or P2P