Help! Need to catch mice or rats on camera at night!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in @samplenhold . I don't use SD cards and have zero experience configuring them. Without that set even SMD won't catch things.

Reaction score
If I have the camera on my network, and I get Blue Iris, can I change the recording settings through that software?
Not exactly sure what you mean here.

I think you are asking if you can change the settings (that you change using the cam's web GUI) from within BlueIris? That would be no, you cannot. Blue Iris is a software based video recording application. It takes the video from the cams and writes it to hard drives. It also does motion detection and has a very nice interface for controlling all aspects of recording and playback. But it does NOT allow you to make changes that are done within the cam's web GUI.

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you mean here.

I think you are asking if you can change the settings (that you change using the cam's web GUI) from within BlueIris? That would be no, you cannot. Blue Iris is a software based video recording application. It takes the video from the cams and writes it to hard drives. It also does motion detection and has a very nice interface for controlling all aspects of recording and playback. But it does NOT allow you to make changes that are done within the cam's web GUI.
Got it. Thank you!

Reaction score
A lot of people have been able to set them up. It is a little bit of trial and error to get the best out of them,
you already have been doing that. With the right camera, it is a lot easier.

I have a pole barn with hay, straw, and grain that likes to attract mice and rats. I never had a problem in 20+ years,
until last year. I had a batch of pack rats come in and tear everything up. With my cameras up at 8 foot, you could see
dozens of pairs of eyes bouncing around at night. I ended up putting 2 types of traps, and 2 types of poison out.
After about 3 months of removing carcasses, the problem finally came to an end. The rats were half the size of my cats!

Good luck with your problem.
Hi! Just circling back to this post. Did you catch the eyes bouncing around and outlines vs. very clear rats?