Help required for a newbee!

Gwladok5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi! Just joined after having had a CCTV installation. I've got 4 x Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-1 cameras with the 8 channel NVR DS-7608NI-E2-8P

My installer said that the installation was a piece of cake!

I've got some questions though & hope someone can help.

The iVMS-4500 HD software for my ipad & mobile phone works very well but the PC software (Windows 10) iVMS-4200 Client is a bit probmatical. I was hoping that because the NVR is connected to the same router as the PC, that functionality would be good, but I presume the PC application isn't accessing the NVR locally. However, it still doesn't explain why the PC software is sluggish. The other issue is with with one of the cameras - we have mounted one sideways ie. at 90 degrees and then found that we could not manoeuvre the lens unit to the desired position. I'm presuming here that the camera is designed to be mounted facing straight down.

This said, can anyone recommend a dome camera, compatable with the NVR that can be mounted sideways successfully?

Best regards to everyone in the forum!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The iVMS-4500 HD software for my ipad & mobile phone works very well but the PC software (Windows 10) iVMS-4200 Client is a bit probmatical. I was hoping that because the NVR is connected to the same router as the PC, that functionality would be good, but I presume the PC application isn't accessing the NVR locally. However, it still doesn't explain why the PC software is sluggish.
Is your PC on wifi? Wifi is the most common source of network performance problems. If not, maybe the PC is just underpowered? What is the CPU, operating system, and RAM? Many very old PCs are actually slower than ipads especially where compressed video is concerned.

This said, can anyone recommend a dome camera, compatable with the NVR that can be mounted sideways successfully?

Find one of the turrets that looks like this. These can be rotated any way you like. Ideally, find it from the same vendor you got your original cameras from to ensure compatibility. Cameras and NVRs with different region codes have been known to not work together.

Gwladok5

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hullo bp2008 - thanks for your response

No, the PC is ethernet directly to the router. I've recently rebuilt the PC so the specs are v high.

I'll look into the turret a bit further.

Are you aware of any other PC app which could do a better job?

Regards

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Blue Iris is popular. Not free, but you could at least try the trial version to see if it runs well. By the way Blue Iris won't really integrate with your NVR, since Blue Iris is meant to BE an NVR. It would just be a way to live view all your cameras. A free player like VLC could do basically the same thing.