Help setting up my new router

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so i just got my new Asus Blue Cave.

I have it going through my Local ISP modem/router. (COMTREND NEXUSLINK 3120)
ISP: GTA GUAM

I want to setup OpenVPN on the asus.

i have the read the wiki, and the VPN section, but that just goes over why you should use a VPN.

can anyone help me setup open VPN on my router.

Do I need to create DDNS ?
This page seems useful.

I have admin access to my local ISP router/modem.
Do I need to first setup a vlan on that router ?

Is there a step by step guide I can use ?

is this guide still effective/useful today ?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

And yes, the guide from Randy you referenced is still applicable today.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, you will need a DDNS as your WAN IP address is subject to change at anytime by your ISP (although most do not change often) or you are paying for a static IP address.

OpenVPN is simple, but we make it way more difficult than it needs to be lol.

I was there too once with OpenVPN...tried to do all this research to find directions and got to the point I said screw it and just enabled it and kinda of followed what it was asking and it worked.

Just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - probably asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

It really is simpler than our minds make it out to be.

And yes, the guide from Randy you referenced is still applicable today.

Damn. so In the asus router page.

I keep getting a: Request Error please try again.
I have tried 3 different host names.

Not an error message but up top in yellow it says

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address.
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment and DDNS service cannot work in this environment.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you get the DDNS name and got confirmation? You may have used a name already used and thus not assigned to you?

Many have used an Asus router behind the ISP modem/router, but you must set that to pass through (if I recall correctly). But a search here will find what people did, and I am sure someone else will chime in that does it that way.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you get the DDNS name and got confirmation? You may have used a name already used and thus not assigned to you?

Many have used an Asus router behind the ISP modem/router, but you must set that to pass through (if I recall correctly). But a search here will find what people did, and I am sure someone else will chime in that does it that way.
Trying to use NO IP now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now go into the Asus router and just go to OpenVPN and enable it and see what it says - If I recall correctly it asks you to create a user/PW, DDNS name, encryption method, and create certificate. Then email that certificate to you and save the certificate on your mobile device. Then install the OpenVPN app and select the certificate and then connect and you are on your home network.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running into some issues, and I think its because : The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address

I am currently trying to put my ISP router into bridge mode, any help ? COMTREND NEXUSLINK 3120

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found this, but I am just unsure how to reserve an IP address for my Blue cave.

____
If you can't bridge the ISP modem/router, set up a reserved IP address for the blue cave that it gets on the WAN port on the ISP Modem/router. Use this same IP address and input this IP address into the ISP Modem/Routers DMZ.

I presume that the modem/routers IP address is 192.168.0.#? If so, then keep the IP address pool on the blue cave as 192.168.1.1 as they need to be different, not on the same pool.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it working.

Had to call my ISP and they had to set the router/modem they provided me to bridge/passthrough mode. It is not a setting I could done myself.

I have a successful vpn from my phone to my router.