Help with Camera Recording and Storage

Reaction score
I am in dire need of help from the brain trust here. I am new to Blue Iris and am setting up my first camera. I have read the help but I am still having an issue. My understanding is that the way I have it configured, each file will be two hours long and after two hours a new file will be created in the New_E folder and the file name is date and time specific. So... by the way I read the help file, when I look at the New_E folder, I should see multiple video files. But that's not the way it is working. It appears that the original file gets deleted and a new file created, so when I look at the New_E folder, there is always only one file.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 171247.png

I thought the issue may be the way I have the Storage configured but I think I have configured it correctly.

Screenshot 2023-05-24 170627.png

For the life of me I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I could sure use your help as at this point, I am baffled, and my brain is G-Locked... TIA for your assistance.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have it limited to 40GB so that could be gone quick.

It is better to simply retain by storage amount and not days.

But if you are insistent you only want 21 days, then you need to allocate more GB as that option is delete based on storage or days, whichever comes first.

Also you shouldn't move from new to stored within the same computer and only move if going to a NAS.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^.
A tool that might shed some light on your issue is found in "Help":

"To better audit “what happened” to clips and why they were deleted, you may wish to enable
the option to Log clip move/delete details."

Reaction score
@wittaj Thanks for the reply. Since I am so new, what settings would you recommend? The Drive is a 18TB Purple Pro for video and BI is running on an SSD.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You like to leave about 10% of the HDD to allow for recording and deleting as it gets full.

And then as you get more cameras, if you have two or more HDD in the computer then you split the cameras across the drives so that if a drive goes out you don't lose everything. So as an example, if you have two cameras on the front, you put one on a drive and the other camera on the other drive.

Reaction score
Thanks @TonyR and @wittaj. I have two 18TB WD Purple Pro drives and will be running 22 cameras which I purchased from Andy. I have read a few of your post recommending splitting the cameras between drives and am planning on doing so. Based on your recommendation I should allocate 16TB to storage and delete when it gets full and you recommend that I uncheck "Limit Clip Age"? Thanks much!