Help With Firmware Update?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two Dahua IPC-T5442T-ZE cameras that I purchased from Empiretecandy. I believe they are the international versions. I would like to update the firmware on these, but don't want to download the wrong version/geographic region/etc. I've also never updated IP camera firmware before. Can someone steer me in the right direction? I did some searching on these forums, but I'm still not certain. Thanks!

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nobody? I know this is cameras 101, but I don't want to brick my cameras.

I've found and downloaded a "Dahua ToolBox" from their website. I haven't installed it yet, but I believe it contains a config tool that you use to update firmware. I'm still not positive about the firmware to download however. I thought there were separate firmwares for international, US, etc., but I'm not seeing that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi!
There is always a risk of messing up: if your connection breaks to the cam, if there is a UFO flying by, all those things can also mess stuff up. The main question is: do you have stuff that is currently not working? Because READ the following thread carefully: IPC-T5442T-ZE IPC-T5442TM-AS latest new firmware IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.20.R.200903

As it LOOKS from the first postings that some features are (were?) broken.

First things first: look up which version you have. Make sure you have downloaded the correct version (eg Rhea is NOT equal to Volt).

And last but not least: no-one can vow and guarantee it will work for you. Even when you call this 101, this is more 911 stuff :p Especially if you brick your cam.

Good luck!
CC

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most firmware releases have a thread in Andy's sub-forum here where folks who upgrade will post back if they ran into anything unusual. Definitely read those threads before doing any upgrades, especially with the 5442 which seems to be getting quite a few "hey, test this" firmware upgrades while folks here + Andy work with Dahua engineers to hopefully get a better performing auto-IR feature.

If your current firmware is stable, not upgrading is always an option. If you do want to upgrade, it's probably best to do it on just one camera, let it run for a good bit, then consider doing the other camera.

The only camera models I've seen that you have to be careful about when doing firmware upgrades are the "C" models that Dahua only meant for sale in China. Dahua's firmware for these models only supports the Chinese language. Some folks have found a way to flash a hacked Dahua firmware on them that adds support for other languages. If you try to upgrade the firmware on one of these models, you may brick them (worst) or have it switch back to Chinese language only (best). Andy doesn't sell these models unless you go out of your way to ask him to get some for you. Your 5442s are most definitely not those types of cameras. Other than that, I haven't ever seen any region/international/US restrictions on firmware/camera models that you have to worry about.

Andy's firmware usually comes in two flavors, the difference being one uses the Dahua logo on the webpages whereas the other one uses a generic "IPCam" logo instead. There used to be separate NTSC/PAL firmwares, but that setting is now selectable in the web interface.

You can upgrade the firmware using the Config Tool or SmartPSS applications or via the camera's web interface. Once or twice I've had the camera report that the upload failed but rebooting the camera and trying again always worked. After the upgrade, it's suggested to restore the camera to default and reconfigure it again. I'm lazy and will only do that if I run into any problems after the firmware upgrade (which I haven't had happen yet, knock on wood).

One Dahua firmware may apply to many different camera models, so if you don't see your model number listed in a thread title in Andy's sub-forum, it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any firmware upgrades for it. The first post of each of Andy's firmware upgrade threads usually include the various models that it applies to.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies! So I checked my cameras through their web interfaces. They both say "System Version" V2.800.0000000.16.R, Build Date 2020-05-29. I assume system version equals firmware version. So is that a "Rhea" or "Volt"? I didn't know Andy had a forum where he posts firmware. I will definitely try to use that as my source. But if I was at a Dahua website, what would I choose?

Also, does the camera web interface truly work fine for firmware updates? I think I'd rather just use that instead of downloading extra software. Thanks again.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi!

Well, you got the "publicly" available firmwares (eg on Dahua US website, which may offer different versions than for example Dahua EU website). But you can start here: and tick the IPC tab: that shows all the official dahua firmwares. However Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY ) often gets his hands on more recents and future developed firmwares (see the link in post #2), which may or may not offer you extended features/capabilities/security updates.

Yes, I personally prefer the webinterface to upload a new firmware. It càn be done through configtool or smartPSS, but I prefer fiddling on the device itself. Especially when your cams are located in a specific vlan and you only want to open certain ports (and not a bunch of ports which require configtool to scan your network with).

Happy Camming!
CC

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks again. I think I'll probably try to just use firmware that Andy posts. But as an example on that Dahua firmware page there are two very similar looking files:

DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.19.R.200709

DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.19.R.200709

The firmware names are the same except for "NP" vs. "PN". When you look at the supported models for each, none of them specifically say IPC-T5442T-ZE, which I believe is Andy's international model number. They both list similar looking models, but nothing exact. Do you know which of these two files might be for my camera?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think OEM resellers (like Andy) are allowed to sell the items using Dahua's exact model numbers, so the model numbers get modified. Often Andy simply replaces Dahua's three digit HXX code towards the front of the model number ( which designates if it's a bullet ,dome, turret) with the letters B, D or T. So Andy's IPC-T5442T-ZE model should be the same model that Dahua sells as IPC-HDW5442T-ZE.

Googling around, it looks like NP and PN refer to NTSC and PAL. Here's an older comment Andy made about that. Makes me wonder why Dahua would still do that, but I've learned not to spend too much timing trying to figure out why Dahua/Hikvision do anything. :D

NP or PN totally same, they both support PAL/NTSC, this year, all dahua cameras' firmware support pal/ntsc at the same time.
I prefer using the Web Interface for most of my interactions with the camera, including upgrading the firmware.