Help with HikVision Camera/NVR setup

GT_CPA25

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - I purchased a house that is 3 years old and has 3 HikVision dome cameras and an NVR. The previous homeowner knew nothing about the setup and never used it or understood it. I have a few issues and questions.

1. one of the 3 cameras continous drops off and shows no link. IF I disconnect the cable from the NVR and restart the NVR and then reconnect then the camera will come back on but then drops off within the next 12 hours or so. Any thoughts on the issue?

2. I have tried setting up motion alerts but nothing gets pushed to my phone. I setup all the zones and set to send notification to monitoring center and also have the notifications enabled on my HikConnect and iphone but nothing gets pushed. At our old house we had Arlo cameras and I miss knowing when someone pulls in to the driveway or is walking to front door. Are there settings I can check for this? I have the NVR plugged into a Google wifi puck, not the router.. could that cause issues? The cameras are online as I can view them through the Hik Connect app but just do not get alerts.

3. Is there a better option for user friendliness than Hikvision? I miss the easier use of the Arlo app but understand this is a much higher quality video and stores a lot more but I do want the convenience of viewing the cameras and getting alerts.

Thanks for any help!

SamM

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. one of the 3 cameras continous drops off and shows no link. IF I disconnect the cable from the NVR and restart the NVR and then reconnect then the camera will come back on but then drops off within the next 12 hours or so. Any thoughts on the issue?
It could be possible the cable type is CAT5 and the distance exceeds the cable tolerance. The POE is not adequate at the camera point or the caable is getting interference from some electrical cable or device or EMF. There are numerous other reasons.

2. I have tried setting up motion alerts but nothing gets pushed to my phone. I setup all the zones and set to send notification to monitoring center and also have the notifications enabled on my HikConnect and iphone but nothing gets pushed. At our old house we had Arlo cameras and I miss knowing when someone pulls in to the driveway or is walking to front door. Are there settings I can check for this? I have the NVR plugged into a Google wifi puck, not the router.. could that cause issues? The cameras are online as I can view them through the Hik Connect app but just do not get alerts.
Try ivms for the push notifications first, if this works then you can troubleshoot. Remember there are options in the triggers that require "Notify Monitoring centre" to be enabled. Alternatively try the smtp as this could be another option

Perhaps post the model and version numbers for accurate feedback

GT_CPA25

n3wb
Reaction score
It could be possible the cable type is CAT5 and the distance exceeds the cable tolerance. The POE is not adequate at the camera point or the caable is getting interference from some electrical cable or device or EMF. There are numerous other reasons.

Try ivms for the push notifications first, if this works then you can troubleshoot. Remember there are options in the triggers that require "Notify Monitoring centre" to be enabled. Alternatively try the smtp as this could be another option

Perhaps post the model and version numbers for accurate feedback
I just downloaded iVMS-4500 but can’t enable alarms. When I go to the alarms tab it just shows ‘Hangzhou, China” with a toggle, not my home device..???

how do I troubleshoot the camera/cable issue?
Thanks

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i would temporarily pull that camera down, and plug it into the PoE switch or the NVR via a short cat5e or cat6 patch cord and leave it running aimed at the corner of the room or whatever..... see if ti drops out. if it does NOT, then its probably the cable. if it does drop out, its probably the camera.

I can't help you with the NVR, I'm using BlueIris software NVR on a mini PC I picked up for $200 and stuffed a 2GB disk into. Pros of my setup, BlueIris is really cool, and supports a huge range of cameras, and is very configurable. Cons are, you have to manually configure the cameras via their own web interfaces, which are different for every brand and model (and I have been buying different cameras trying to find a good one, so have Reolink (cheap junk), Amcrest IP8M (good for a wide view but lousy for night vision), a couple different HiKvision cameras (not the right ones yet, still looking), and a Dahua (nice package, decent camera but this one only has so-so night vision although I'm still tuning its settings).

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As far as alerts and notifications, I'd start out with how the NVR is connected to the rest of the system.
Is it plugged into a switch? Or a Router/switch/modem combo?
you need all the IP address of the devices concerned with IP Cams.
See if you can get the IP address of the NVR directly from the NVR's network menu.
Then see if it's matching the Router/switch/modem, address scheme. 192.168.1.x 192.168.1 137 etc....
to do that, get a PC on the network and go to CMD, and do a ipconfig /all
Write down your gateway address. Write down your PC's ip address. Compare those to the NVR's address.

Surf with a Browser to the advertised IPv4 gateway address ( like 192.168.1.1 or 192,168.0.1 etc)
using Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome or Firefox.
you'll need a user /pwrd for the login ( usually)
See what addresses are currently in use with connected to devices.
The NVR is probably one of the addresses unless its IP configuration has been changed.
Most NVR's have DHCP enabled out of the Box. if so then it will be assigned an IP address on the local Net.
If things have changed over the years it could be all jacked up.
Maybe reset the NVR to factory defaults, and let it get an address assigned by the Router/modem.
If everything is on the same network address scheme, then you should be good to go. for example pc is 192.168.1.2, Gateway is 192.168.1.1. and other devices are in the 192.168.1. 3 thru 192.168.1.253 range.
Once all that is right, you should be able to send Notifications properly from the NVR.Screenshot 2021-07-01 221551.pngScreenshot 2021-07l-01 221515.png

Last edited: