Help with home system setup...

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
So i finally decided to install my home security system and need some advise on the location setup for my equipment. I am going to be getting the IPC-HDW5231R-Z's as my cameras and a matching Dahua NVR. So here my delimena.

I plan on running all the wires up in the attic of my house (2 Storey house) and down into a closet on the 2nd floor where i have an Cat6 cable prewired in the wall. This wire runs down to the basement where all my other components are. The main router from my internet provider is run to this room in the basement, as well as, my Cisco SG102-24-NA network switch for all my hardwired CAT6's around my house. The Cat6 that is run to the upstairs is fed into my network switch (although this can change if need be).

to have the most flexibility down the road, should i connect the NVR in the closet on the second floor or should i put an POE switch in the closet upstairs and put the NVR in the storage room in the basement? All my hardwired CAT6 cables run from the room in the basement so i am thinking of putting the NVR down there is best??

what would be the pros and cons to the 2 choices?? any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

As a precursor, i would say my networking skills are average and really want an easy system set up, that i can view from my iphone/ipad and/or setup up on a stationary screen in my house.

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
also to add, if the POE switch is what i should use, can you recommend one for up to 8 camereas. the NVR, i know which one i will get, whether it's POE or not.