Help with vlan and port configuring

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to all this so please be gentle.

I have 18 ip, poe amcrest cameras running into a unifi 48 port switch. That runs to another switch, then to an aggregate, then to the main udm several buildings away all via fiber. I inherited this setup so I'm working with what I have.

From what I understand, I need to isolate the cameras on the network. So what I did was create a new vlan for cameras, create the profile, and then assign each port to the new profile. I was under the impression that once I did this, the cameras would capture a new ip from the new profile and then I could set them up on the NVR. Problem is, nothing happens. The cameras continue to get their ip from the native vlan. I've reset the switch and tried to manually force them on to the vlan, but they show as not able to reach the network.

I know I'm missing an important step here, just not sure what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
How many networks are on the profile? Just the new VLAN as the native network or is the new VLAN added as tagged?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So you created a new vlan on the router and have it setup as a totally separate network from the default/native vlan?

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am going to make a educated assumption that your 48 port switch is fully managed? You need to make all of your camera IP addresses static and not utilize DHCP with them.

Last edited:

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think DHCP being on is the issue here. Sounds like the native VLAN wasn't removed from the port profile. The cameras are not tag aware so guessing that the new VLAN was just "added" to the existing port profile along with the native VLAN and that would explain why the cameras are still obtaining the address from the "old" subnet range.