Hi from NL

Yaldair

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently joined these forums and wanted to say hi and ask some questions/advice. To start with how I got here: I started looking into making my own babymonitor with some cameras. The pre-build stuff all had severe limitations so I ended up buying two TAPO C210s that I put on a non-internet VLAN and connected to a VM running Frigate. Frigate restreams the streams to an ipad + optional android phones. Better quality image + sound + overall access using wireguard. This works a lot better than what I could buy where the range generally would not even reach outside of my house.

So, now I have two cameras. Two rabbits give more rabbits, two cameras as well right? ;)

My new project is to install some cameras outside. Ideally I'd like to identify people, but I'm dutch so also don't want to pay too much. So, I figure to first start with one camera that can watch our driveway. Our houses are not as big as you see in the US, so it's only a minor area where we park our cars. As such I hope I can make do with one camera (for now). Reading these forums, I think it will be either the:
1) IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 (black)
2) IPC-Color4K-T 8MP 1/1.2" (black)

I've attached a "blueprint" of the driveway and some possible locations for the camera. Option A is I think the best location, option B could also be an option. In the middle of my garage I have a zigbee light (tradfri LED) that I can leave on throughout the night. There are also some lampposts nearby, so generally it's never (too) dark.

Option A I would have an angle of 88 degrees to cover (~3.2mm focal point). Then I'd be able to monitor all entrance points to the driveway. Not certain whether I can obtain always a "Identify-view".
Option B I would need to cover an angle of 106 degrees (~2.8mm focal point).

The furthest distance to the public road is ~7m. In theory we should not record the public road ;).

My thinking now is that I should position a camera at Location A. As it needs to cover a ~91 degree angle I could either use a T54IR @ ~3.2mm focal point or get the Color4k 3.2mm. In case its' better to position one at location B, then I'd either use a T54IR at 2.8mm or immediately the Color4k 2.8mm. I don't think I will really benefit from the (optical) zoom functionality of the T54IR, and due to having enough light at night,, I figure the Color4k might be the best choice?

by the way, I also have a ring camera doorbell. Only got it a year ago so don't think I can convice my wife yet to replace it with something better non-cloud.

Same for getting "better Identity shots' --> I could position a camera in the hallway at the backdoor, but my wife is not yet convinced we even need cameras :). So let's start small with one watching our cars and the logical entrance towards our house.

I'm looking forward for some feedback

Attachments