Hi From the UK....

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was looking at developing my camera system. I use Ubiquiti Protect, 6 cameras, but I'm plagued with false notifications when it rains, snows etc etc. I didn't fancy spending $400 plus a camera to upgrade to G4 cameras which do support AI detection so I thought about splitting the system.
The current thought/Plan is:
1, Leave the ubiquiti connect running 24/7 recording as before with a lower stream quality with no notifications set up.
2, Add in a new NVR, such as Blue Iris, and set up rstp high quality streams from the Ubiquiti cameras to only record when triggered. I'd use deepstackAI or sentry, I need to do a bit of research here.
3, Add in some additional POE cameras, with or without on board AI detection, such as the newer reolinks etc. I'm not sure if I need on board AI if I'm using an AI add on to blue iris?

Finally, I see Blue Iris doesn't play well with Google home. Any other NVR software anybody would suggest? I assume I could set up a work around with something like Home assistant. I'm playing with a Blue Iris trial and do like the software so might just live with the google streaming issues? I think I read somewhere you can export streams from BI anyway.

Loads of options and questions so if anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear from them.

Oh, final issue, my router is behind a CGNAT. I tried using an openvpn remote server I set up on AWS, this seems to work to give me remote access to my system. Any other suggestions as it is a bit clunky. I don't really wont all my traffic going via this server as it does slow things down a bit.

Last edited: