Hi newbie here to learn

rmmr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for providing a great forum as I've learnt plenty by browsing old threads.

My initial goal is to add 6 - 8 cameras to the outside of the house: 2 in front, 2 in the back and 1 - 2 on each side.

So far I've purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 7040 i7-6700 MT to run Blue Iris. I needed a new Wintel box to replace my existing one which is on the fritz.

And I got a catalog from milkisbad.

The questions that I'm researching:
  1. Run Blue Iris on a VM or not. I run all my software on VirtualBox VMs now but none are as write-heavy as Blue Iris
  2. What POE midspan injector to get as I already have a 24 port switch. I would like to get something with either 12 or 16 ports to have some extra capacity
  3. Shielded outdoor Cat6 for the one camera that will be somewhat near where power line connects to the house? I have Cat6 inside the house already.
  4. What cameras for the side of the house with a narrow field of view to avoid looking into the neighbors yard as much as possible? My wife wants the camera hidden as much as possible which means high up under the eave. I'm leaning towards Dahua from what I've read so far.

Thanks again for all the info

nhracecraft

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Greetings from the Granite State. Welcome aboard!

You've come to the right place. The resident experts regarding Blue Iris / Networking / Dahua should be along shortly. In the meantime, the search function is your friend....You'll find it's very effective tool to secure the answers that you seek. :cool: