Hi to all! Question about an ecosystem for an Offline Environment

v3v0r

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new here, not sure if this is the right place to post, please guide me if there's a better place.

I'm looking for recommendations on home security camera ecosystem that can work by design in an offline (no internet) environment. (there will be a POE switch, full wired ad-hoc connection, no internet, the site can get internet for updates etc periodically via a hotpot router)
I'm going to build this gradually adding one camera at a time.

Requirements:
  • POE over Ethernet
  • Working properly in an offline environment by design!
  • Decent recoding quality/night vision
  • Emphasis on live feed monitor display, no need for apps/notifications etc
  • Decent hardware quality
  • Doesn't have to be cheap, but good bang for my buck (going to end up with maximum 6 cameras)
  • Wide FOV
  • Built for extreme weathers (Montreal winters, although it will be installed under the soffit)
  • Widely available in Canada, supported and modular based ecosystem
  • A plus: Being able to connect to NVR by phone app using ad-hoc network a (the old unifi video had this feature, but they retired it in the new Unifi Protect, with no current plans to re-enable)
  • A plus: live feed monitor software that would allow streaming from other brands (I.e. door phone camera etc)
I'm a big fan of ubiquiti, my problem with that is that it's really designed for an offline environment. (see here and more)
I've also briefly looked at reolink, browsed this forum a bit, as it looks like its checking off most of my requirements save for the "Decent recoding quality/night vision"...

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is like the 3rd thread today alone about a system that works without Internet. It isn't a unique concept unless all you look at are consumer stuff like Ring and Nest and Arlo, etc.

Most of us here run systems that do not require internet. And we don't update and fix what isn't broke.

You want wide view FOV - I guess you don't need IDENTIFY capabilities beyond 15 feet?

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night. Many here run these cameas in Canada climate and worse just fine.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Blue Iris will run cameras from other brands.

v3v0r

n3wb
Reaction score
This is like the 3rd thread today alone about a system that works without Internet. It isn't a unique concept unless all you look at are consumer stuff like Ring and Nest and Arlo, etc.

Most of us here run systems that do not require internet. And we don't update and fix what isn't broke.

You want wide view FOV - I guess you don't need IDENTIFY capabilities beyond 15 feet?

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night. Many here run these cameas in Canada climate and worse just fine.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Blue Iris will run cameras from other brands.
Thanks for your response, I'll also read the other threads.

I think 15 feet of IDENTIFY is more than enough for my application, I'll take a look at that thread you linked.

As far as NVR, my concern with Blue Iris is the lack of dedicated hardware, it means I'll have to run a windows machine and lose plug and play for the live feed monitor.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of us start with that wide FOV see everything, then something happens, but maybe you are in a situation that 15 for IDENTIFY is good.

If you stay all with the same OEM, which is recommended for someone using an NVR, then an NVR may be the right choice.

But if you want to mix brands, BI/PC is a very strong option. As far as plug and play for a live feed, you can either click on one icon to get the live feed or set it up to always pull it up in the event of a power outage.

I certainly wouldn't consider BI anymore difficult to display a live feed.

Most of us get a PC just for BI so it is dedicated hardware - it is only used as an NVR and not for anything else. Since it isn't connected to the internet, Windows updates are not needed. At that point it is simply a black box like an NVR. Get a SFF and it isn't much bigger than an NVR.

v3v0r

n3wb
Reaction score
All of us start with that wide FOV see everything, then something happens, but maybe you are in a situation that 15 for IDENTIFY is good.

If you stay all with the same OEM, which is recommended for someone using an NVR, then an NVR may be the right choice.

But if you want to mix brands, BI/PC is a very strong option. As far as plug and play for a live feed, you can either click on one icon to get the live feed or set it up to always pull it up in the event of a power outage.

I certainly wouldn't consider BI anymore difficult to display a live feed.

Most of us get a PC just for BI so it is dedicated hardware - it is only used as an NVR and not for anything else. Since it isn't connected to the internet, Windows updates are not needed. At that point it is simply a black box like an NVR. Get a SFF and it isn't much bigger than an NVR.
I totally understand that, however I would wonder what the next best NVR would be after BI on a PC