Hidden SpyCam Install Suggestions

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have installed a spy camera in a regular junction box on the side of our garage. I am doing this to out the miscreants who leave the trash bin lids up and the scofflaws who dump their trash in our bin.

I have this camera:

Install Camera.jpg

The first way I tried it looks good, but it doesn't capture the area I want because the camera is inserted into the cable gland joint and can't be moved (it just points straight forward):

Install01.jpg

The second way I did it was to remove the cable gland and tape the camera into the cable opening in the junction box, at the angle I need:

Install02.jpg

Not very elegant, but, as you can see, it captures the area more fully. Here is where the junction box is located as seen from alley. Relatively un-noticeable unless you are looking for it:

Install Location.jpg

Yes, I am using a cheap Chinese analog camera here because, quite frankly, it's cost-effective: Easy to install, inexpensive to replace. The video is amazingly sharp and clear (1080p). I actually have it connected to a video encoder in the garage, so it is operating on my network as an IP cam, sending video both to iSpy and ContaCam servers.

My question is: Given the info provided here, does anyone have a better solution? I am looking for a more elegant way to angle that camera from within the junction box than the way I've done it.

These are the mini cameras I am using:

US $15.96 24% OFF|Security Surveilence Mini Camera 1080P 2.0MP AHD CVI TVI CVBS 4 In 1 CCTV Cam 3.7mm Wide Lens Video -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

US $33.59 |New 2000TVL 2MP Mini IR Night Vision AHD Camera 1080P 0.01Lux StarLight Low Illumination Audio out DC12V Security CCTV Camera -in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The 2nd one is the one actually in the junction box now.

And here is the analog to IP encoder I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVW4JCS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you only want a low cost setup, how about $20 free shipping from U.S. vendor, black bullet cam, analog, 1200TVL with 36 IR LED's + bracket, 6mm focal length, el cheapo, no big deal if it gets ripped off, on eBay. I bought 4 of these 4 years ago for a restaurant that already had an analog system and the kitchen cams were 700TVL; they're still up and working great.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
If you only want a low cost setup, how about $20 free shipping from U.S. vendor, black bullet cam, analog, 1200TVL with 36 IR LED's + bracket, 6mm focal length, el cheapo, no big deal if it gets ripped off, on eBay. I bought 4 of these 4 years ago for a restaurant that already had an analog system and the kitchen cams were 700TVL; they're still up and working great.
Sounds great. I've already got a couple of Besder POEs that are pretty similar to black bullets in cost and performance, and a couple of WyzeCams. I didn't use them because I wanted the camera relatively hidden, which is why I went with the pinhole in the junction box. I'd just like a better way to position the pinhole, if that's possible.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
What about using a hole saw on the box itself and angle it and secure it within the box? Could also try to dremel the black o-ring the camera is on and adjusting the angle a bit.

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
What about using a hole saw on the box itself and angle it and secure it within the box? Could also try to dremel the black o-ring the camera is on and adjusting the angle a bit.
I knew it was a good idea to post this question here. Your suggestions lead me to a possible solution:
20190110_114925.jpg
20190110_114940.jpg
20190110_115005.jpg
20190110_115120.jpg
20190110_115226.jpg

I can place the cable gland tip inside the junction box cable opening, then angle the pinhole inside the tip. It's neater, doesn't require a bunch of tape on outside and has a lower profile.

Thank you!

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
looks good! you might also try turning the cam 90 degrees to get more of 'corridor' view and less walls in the picture, assuming your encoder and/or SW can deal with that rotation. One issue with those cheap-o cams is the night vision, tho that may not be a problem with adequate lighting in the area...

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
looks good! you might also try turning the cam 90 degrees to get more of 'corridor' view and less walls in the picture, assuming your encoder and/or SW can deal with that rotation. One issue with those cheap-o cams is the night vision, tho that may not be a problem with adequate lighting in the area...
The encoder software supports 180 degree "flip", but not 90 degrees. The camera does not have night vision, but the night time video is eerily clear with the light source above the trash bin.

5_2019-01-09_20-17-33_large.jpg

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm. removing the boring walls from the picture is good, but maybe not at the cost having direct light source in the view. worth a try, at least...

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the junction box with the camera looking out

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Using shims to mount the J-box might be considered?
ie: angle the box, not the cam.
Re: cam captures too much of the non-threatening wall, a different lens could help. But you may not have that option. But maybe, move the J-Box closer to the area you want to monitor?
Good luck!

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
ie: angle the box, not the cam.
But maybe, move the J-Box closer to the area you want to monitor?
Good luck!
I thought about mounting the junction box angled down, but to me that just looked too obvious to the onlooker. Also, again in my mind, the closer you move the camera to where the traffic is, the higher the chance of someone noticing and recognizing it for what it is, and attempting to vandalize it. Perhaps I'm just paranoid because I know the camera is there, but I did read somewhere that, as a rule, you want to avoid placing cameras in direct line of sight locations.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I thought about mounting the junction box angled down, but to me that just looked too obvious to the onlooker. Also, again in my mind, the closer you move the camera to where the traffic is, the higher the chance of someone noticing and recognizing it for what it is, and attempting to vandalize it. Perhaps I'm just paranoid because I know the camera is there, but I did read somewhere that, as a rule, you want to avoid placing cameras in direct line of sight locations.
No, as a rule you want to position cams to get a good facial ID. Who cares if they notice the cam.

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
No, as a rule you want to position cams to get a good facial ID. Who cares if they notice the cam.
I have a total of 3 spy cameras mounted. The other two are in my garage door, facing the alley. While it is a pretty nice neighborhood, a lot of traffic flows through that alley, with a lot of people who don't live in the neighborhood passing through. We therefore suffer common big city problems: Dumping, graffiti, public urination and defecation, etc... My original thought was to place dome cameras on the bottom of the garage awning to capture the activity around the garage facing the alley. My biggest fear was that they would be tampered with or destroyed because they would be easily noticed and within easy reach.

The pinhole spy cams, on the other hand, presented an opportunity to mount the cameras in the garage door, relatively invisible to passersby:

20190111_120428.jpg

The install was relatively easy, inexpensive with no drilling or running wires, and practically invisible. The goal of capturing activity around the garage is accomplished while significantly reducing the probability that cameras will be tampered with.

It is entirely possible that the camera on the side of garage facing trash bin does not need to be hidden. My gut, based upon where I live and what I know about the area, tells me it should be hidden.

Right or wrong, this is my goal. As such, it determines the parameters of my installation.

How to Install a Hidden Camera

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
Almost a year later, I am finally re-visiting the first install. After running 24/7 for 11 months, the first camera finally gave out. I replaced it using the new mount scenario discussed here earlier:

20191113_122041.jpg

After nearly a year, I can say that having the cameras has definitely been worthwhile. In addition to the deterrent factor, and the piece of mind knowing what's going on in that area, the cameras have proven useful in reporting dumping in and around our trash area. Also, I was able to use the microphones on the camera to accurately log and provide evidence for a couple of barking dog complaints.

Hope this new camera will go for at least a year!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Almost a year later, I am finally re-visiting the first install. After running 24/7 for 11 months, the first camera finally gave out. I replaced it using the new mount scenario discussed here earlier:

View attachment 50633

After nearly a year, I can say that having the cameras has definitely been worthwhile. In addition to the deterrent factor, and the piece of mind knowing what's going on in that area, the cameras have proven useful in reporting dumping in and around our trash area. Also, I was able to use the microphones on the camera to accurately log and provide evidence for a couple of barking dog complaints.

Hope this new camera will go for at least a year!
Your in cali, possibly the camera needs some ventilation.

Ron Parker

n3wb
Reaction score
So, after years of screwing around with grommets and tape trying to position these pin hole cameras:

IMG_20220217_221204.jpg

Those clever folks over in China finally started making these "mini" cameras, somewhat close to the WyzeCam small box style:

revotech image 2022-01-30_13-14-01.png

So now, all I have to do is stick a small metal plate where I want the camera, and connect the camera to the plate with magnets:

IMG_20220217_221150.jpg

Also, I've come up with a way to house my pc mics so that I can also position them using the same technique:

IMG_20220217_215049.jpg

I have these HDView video encoders that work will with the regular pc mics for audio, not so well with powered mics. For my use, the quality of the pc mics is fine.

Progress in the March of Time!