High CPU usage, 2 duplicate systems

traley

n3wb
Reaction score
Was hoping I could get another set of eyes on this. I have 2 duplicate systems, i7-9700 with 16GB ram and Intel 630 Graphics, the 'bad' system has 24 cams, and I have a 'good' system running 26 cams. Bad version = 5.4.9.10 (7/18/2021), Good version = 5.3.3.12 (10/26/2020)

The trouble systems has been pegged at 100% CPU since it was set up. I've gone through twice now so it seems that HA Decode got turned off on the bad system somehow, has anyone seen that before?

I'll list what I've done here
  • Direct to disc recording
  • Intel HA decode
  • All cams at 15FPS
  • Running as a service
  • Preview Framrate is 1FPS
  • Video scaling=Fast
  • Encoder Preset=ultrafast
Things I have not tried from this list Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage I haven't done these because they are not set on the 'good' system
  • Sub streams
  • Video overlays
  • Limit decoding unless required
Questions/Summary
  • Should I try going back to v4? I feel like some of my older setups have been a little more stable...
  • As you can see the bitrate and MP/s is lower on the 'bad' system but CPU and RAM are almost 50% higher.
  • One thing I thought was interesting was that video decode is much higher on the 'bad' system, maybe that should point me in a direction?
  • There aren't any outlier cams in regards to FPS/bitrate
  • Both systems are continuously recording and have motion detection
  • I can look at some of the other options but academically, I'd like to figure out why these behave differently, with everything I've looked at I'm wondering if it's a 'bad processor' that just isn't running as smoothly as the other?

Bad system
Bad.PNGBad perf.PNG

Good system
Good.PNGGood perf.PNG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Some people have experienced this with recent updates. Some systems HA isn't well liked with newer updates so BI keeps trying to turn it off.

Instead of rolling back to V4, how about rolling back to the good version the other machine is running.

Many of us are sitting at 5.4.6.3 as that seemed to be the last stable version for a lot of people. But others are on the newest version without issue. YMMV.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no need to roll back to v4! That being said, you are not on the same version, so it is quite possible that there is something different between the two version. You might roll the "bad" system back to 5.3.3.12 to rule that out.

I think you are using BI for motion detection based on your comment. Overall, are the cameras on the "bad" system having to deal with more motion detection? Is it triggering a lot more than the "good" system? That could be another difference betweeen the two setups.

If you can utilize substreams, I would highly suggest it. I suspect it will lower both machine CPU numbers dramatically and save you from having to pull your hair out trying to diagnose a problem that won't matter in the long run anyway,

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Sub streams will take the load off of any system. In reality, you're a few revs back from the latest stable version and the latest and greatest version.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
^ as above enable sub streams I did to my system and it is now running @ around 7% CPU load and that's with 6 cameras 3 of them are 4k and 2x2mp 1x4mp PTZ