High Latency Issues

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am having a head scratcher here and was hoping you could help out.

I work for a local grocery chain in my area as their camera/IT installer. I am installing UNV products throughout the locations but im coming into an issue. Some locations appear to not work the way they should. Every time I remote view, or turn on the port that the NVR is plugged into the Store network latency will increase tenfold and bring the store down. I think it maybe due to Upload speeds but if you have any other suggestions i would appreciate it so far this has happened in two locations. I don't know if there is a way to throttle the connection or if i just need to increase the upload speed.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
What's the upload upload speed of their WAN? I'm unfamiliar with those cameras but I'd first start by knocking down their resolution/fps and see if the connection is stable when remote viewing on a lower resolution.

Large stores/chains may maintain a high availability connection to their backend POS/Inventory databases off site. Those dedicated connections may not be super fast and a couple 4k cameras set at 30fps with little to no compression could choke the upstream bandwidth.

Reaction score
What's the upload upload speed of their WAN? I'm unfamiliar with those cameras but I'd first start by knocking down their resolution/fps and see if the connection is stable when remote viewing on a lower resolution.

Large stores/chains may maintain a high availability connection to their backend POS/Inventory databases off site. Those dedicated connections may not be super fast and a couple 4k cameras set at 30fps with little to no compression could choke the upstream bandwidth.

So each store is different, usually 10-20 upload. I would say that would be the issue but one of the stores has a new XVR but till using the 1.8mp analog cameras with 20 upload and will still do the exact same thing. I don't have specifics cause I am not the IT engineer

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that you are the grocery chain's camera/IT installer but I was wondering: In addition to the above considerations mentioned by @biggen , are there any PCI-compliance issues introduced by connecting an NVR with Internet access to the store's network where credit/debit cards are used for purchases? Or is the NVR on it's own VLAN?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So each store is different, usually 10-20 upload. I would say that would be the issue but one of the stores has a new XVR but till using the 1.8mp analog cameras with 20 upload and will still do the exact same thing. I don't have specifics cause I am not the IT engineer
10 - 20 Mbps is basically peanuts. Just one of my 4MP cams streams a constant bit rate of 8Mbps to Blue Iris. You will probably need to find a way to compress that video for offsite viewing. Usually, the NVR solution will have that ability so you don't have to view the native stream of the camera itself.