High MP cam for area with plenty of light

gavrook

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently have a bunch of IPC-5231R-Z's and while they're great I'm thinking of getting something like an 8mp model for the front door where I have a sensor light so low light performance is not necessary but image quality for identifying faces would be great.

I'm looking at the IPC-HDW4831EM-ASE or even the IPC-HDW2831TM-AS-S2. Anyone have any thoughts on these? I know there's a little around about the first but nothing on the second. If I had to I could stretch to the IPC-HDW5831R-ZE but it's twice the price of the other two.

Any suggestions would appreciated thanks!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The image sensor in the new 2831 S2 looks to be a big improvement over what’s in the older 4831/5831, but it’s still not as good as the 5231, which has been replaced by the 4MP 5442 models when it comes to low-light performance.

Two things to consider if the front porch sensor light only come on when motion is detected... the camera will take a second or two to adjust from going from dark to bright and you’ll likely get unusable video during that transition. Also when the light is off, you may not get much useful video (of things like someone approaching the porch, etc).

There is a review thread of the newer 2831 S2. The review unit came from Andy so the model number is a little different, but if you search for 2831 it should pop up. :)