Hik using as a dashcam?

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Im thinking of installing 2 hikvision 4mp cams in my car, and use them as a dashcam with the integrated sd card.
What i wonder is if there ara any good reasons not to do this.

Which is the smallest cam?
Good nightvision
Wireless

Idea isthat whe i park at home, the cam automatic connects with my local wifi and records on my nvr as one or 2 extra cameras, and when im not at home and parked elsewhere, it will record on its sd.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh man, get yourself a Mini 0805 or Mini 0806. For starters you can hook them up much easier and they are much much much smaller. Plus they are designed for this purpose.

I have the Mini 0806 btw.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
While I have two Mini 0806 I don't recommend it, it's been out for a year now and not much support for it any longer. In one of them GPS stopped working. Check out dashcamtalk there are newer versions listed. I am waiting for mine to die completely before I get anything else though. The size though is great, nice and compact.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks,
But i want them acting as a surveillance cam as well, as where i park, i see my house but have no rights to put a camera over there.
Besides, thisclooks too nice. Im afraid they'd steal it, thinking its a navigation or similar...

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Well, if you have to go this route, this is probably the only feasible option with Hikvision:

http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD6412FWD-20-Pinhole-Covert-Network/dp/B00M8IKP3E

or perhaps look at other options such as these. They come with POE & wifi depending on configuration:

http://www.amazon.com/ELP-Megapixel-Industrial-Pinhole-Network/dp/B00KA4OGF6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41448NhtXbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0CNGN84V0WX9E8GA3Y46

Any other cams will be too bulky. Also keep in mind that you will not be able to use IR inside the car, so night vision will be very limited

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Mini 0826 hasn't replaced the 0806, it's competing companies, Mini 0826 is like a newer (but untested) Mini 0805. I did e-mail the manufacturer and they said new firmware out after CNY. I don't have the GPS version so can't comment on that sorry.

Another good option: Xiamoi Sports Camera from GearBest (on this forum). It's cheap and decent. Just hookup a portable phone battery to it.

I spent way too long looking at this stuff when deciding to buy one.