Hikvision 4MP Turrets and IR reflection affecting exposure

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, we've a couple of exterior mounted 4mp Hikvision Turrets that are generally good, but at night time I feel the IR reflection off the roof support arches impacts the image quality. See attached photo. I adjusted WDR and noise levels today and the arches don't look as white - washed out, as they've been, but I think the exposure on the road and sidewalk could be better if the IR wasn't feeding back into the camera. The arches were a bright white before the adjustments, still I feel the image quality could be improved. The arches are a deep maroon color paint. Cannot relocate the cameras easily. Little ambient light so the built-in IR is neccessary. Is there any way to negate or block off the effect of strong IR lighting on items near to the cameras? TIA!

Attachments

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't see how you would lose too much (if any) region of interest, if you re-aimed the camera.

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the daytime the far end of the sidewalk is important. Guess we could add a camera down there. If camera is mounted much lower I worry about vandalism. Thanks as your suggestion at least made me think of adding a camera for coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No. That's a good idea. Wonder if it will work? On my to try list!!!

LewisO

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had wondered if there's a coating I could put on arches to absorb IR and not reflect it?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Matte black paint will help with the reflection but not as much as dropping the cam down 8-12 inches and adjusting the angle. Not sure how much more accessible to vandals that'll make it. You could also always turn off the IR and mount an external illuminator. You will definitely thank yourself. I hate internal IR outdoors and turn it off whenever possible. An extra cam will help immensely with your distance view though. It is too far for your existing cam to give good ID anyway. A blend of all of these tips will really improve the quality of your coverage.