Hikvision and Dahua Blacklisting

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Do you guys predict any impact to us after the latest White House move to blacklist Hangzhou Hikvision and Zhejiang Dahua, Alibaba-backed AI titans SenseTime and Megvii, and other Chinese firms? It seems to be focused around US businesses but feels like the trade war may start to have more repercussions.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have not seen anybody explain what "blacklisting" means in this context, so I can't even guess about the implications. Maybe Hikvision and Dahua will get a spanking if they try to run Android on their cameras now?

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What I saw was they need a “license” to work with US companies. Again a bit opaque.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
The way the entity list / 'blacklisting' works is that if a US company wants to sell technology to Dahua or Hikvision (think Intel, NVIDIA, Western Digital, etc.), they need to get a license which is typically not approved, ergo it's 'blacklisted'.

However, Dahua or Hikvision are still free to sell their products to US citizens and companies, though the government classifies such transactions with a 'red flag'. Our coverage - Hikvision And Dahua Sanctioned For Human Rights Abuses

MonitorMyHome

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very interesting. It’s seems to me, if you get past the human rights issue and want to go with one of those companies, then as long as you’re using a dual NIC setup you’re probably A-OK.

Netscan

n3wb
Reaction score
Not sell, export. The entity list only pertains to exports, re-exports, and deemed exports.

OFAC has the SDN and Blocked Persons List, that's the real "black list". Blocks actual transactions. That's the list you don't want to end up on, ask the Russians and Iran.

Being on the entity list will just annoy them a little bit as they obfuscate their supply chain.

inference

n3wb
Reaction score
Some reports I've read say that they've been expelled from ONVIF, though I have no understanding of what this means in practice.