Hikvision camera not working connected to NVR but works on LAN..?

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have an LTS NVR (LTN8716K-P16) with several LTS cameras and a few hikvision cameras. They are all connected directly to the NVR and work well. I just decided to try a hikvision 2355fwdi ultra low light camera and it doesn't want to work when connected directly to the LTS (hikvision rebrand) nvr. It says "IP CAMERA EXCEPTION" under the little exclamation point on the NVR. FW it 5.5.3. However, when I connect the ip camera to my local LAN with a POE injector, I can enter that IP address into the NVR and it'll work perfectly. Is it a setting somewhere I'm missing or possibly a firmware issue?

I am setting a static IP for the camera when I plug it directly in, and it tries to connect but doesn't seem to work. Not really sure what to try next, maybe a factory reset? I'm really puzzled and spent a while playing with settings going back and forth without any luck. Worst case could I setup the camera in the NVR as a different protocol (I'm using hikvision) like maybe ONVIF? Big thanks for any thoughts or input.

Last edited:

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
So I tinkered with it some more last night, and set a static IP on my laptop and plugged it directly into the NVR with the camera on there. I used the SADP tool but the camera seems to pop up and disappear regularly when connected directly to the NVR. I was able to set the static IP of the camera to what the NVR was looking for and get a network abnormal error. I'm definitely puzzled why this isn't working. Does anyone know what the "protocol" does? Maybe I'll try a different protocol but hikvision doesn't seem to work..?

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I've about pulled my hair out.. Sorry for not mentioning but the firmware of the cam was on 5.5.3. I'm just trying to upgrade to 5.5.51 and we'll see how it goes..

Mike Oz

n3wb
Reaction score
Well that didn't seem to do anything.. Oh well.. I guess the question is if I can downgrade the firmware somehow to before 5.5, to something like 5.4.5. I tried to downgrade it but it wouldn't let me. Is there a hack available to downgrade firmware? The NVR I'm using is LTN8716K-P16 on the latest firmware. V3.4.96 build 171127 I'm guessing there's some kind of incompatibility as the other hikvision cameras I'm using are running 5.4.5 firmware or earlier.. So probably the NVR firmware is old or the hikvision firmware is too new?

What's so strange to me is how the camera works when on the same LAN as the NVR, but when connected directly to the port of the NVR, it doesn't work..

EDIT: Ok so it works. I did a factory reset to default in the menu option, then plugged it into the nvr as plug and play. Then set it to manual and added the correct login/pw and *voila* all working! Lesson being, always try a factory reset..

Last edited: