Hikvision Camera problem

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just a thought, but would it be a possibility that the seller or person they imported from in China... Thought it was usual Chinese stock, and modified the flash as per usual so it runs in English?

But either modified wrong part, or modified an already world region unit causing the problem?

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dev type and model name are 2 different things. The model name can be set to anything probably as far as I know it's just cosmetic.

But if the dev type says the camera doesn't have SD card + audio, then camera won't try to use them even if it has them. I think that's what happening here.

0x9808 doesn't have SD/audio
0x980E does

I think that's what your problem is. Also the cameras are suprisingly old if you've just ordered them.

I don't think it's fake in that I'm sure it really was made by Hikvision, but the dev type shouldn't be wrong. Do the serial number and mac address match the label on the camera and the label on the box?

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also 5.3.0 150814 didn't exist when this camera was made (if the serial DS-2CD2732F-IS20150317CCWR321364435 is true).

I suppose they could have upgraded it before sending it but I don't know a seller that would do that.

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can I correct that without causing it to brick the unit?

Just had a look now you mention it, I think somebody's been playing with the labels, because none of the serials match the boxes, all the boxes are dated 2015, the style between the China region one label and world region ones are also different.

World region ones look same, China region ones look different.

Also on back of the camera, China one has 2 stickers, one with the 3D barcode, and other with model and serial etc (which matches box)

But the other 3 either have 1 sticker or other but not both. Think 1 has no stickers on back of camera.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you give me a pic of DS-2CD2732F-IS20150317CCWR321364435 label on camera?

Yes dev type can be changed but it's not easy.

I also don't get why the seller would insist all are returned when only some have a problem. So if you'd bought 1000 cameras and 1 was faulty you'd have to return all 1000?

Who is this seller and on what platform did you buy on?

edit:

nevermind I see that it's eBay. I only buy from aliexpress because it's cheap, and say what you want about the Chinese sellers but they sell 1000s of cameras and usually know what they are doing.

If you want a a non-hacked World region camera better only go with authorized resellers in my opinion.

I went with aliexpress for my 2732s because they were less than 1/3 of the price in the UK at the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
only 3 was non functional,

i wanted to to return those 3 only, seller initially said about repairing them, I then stopped getting replies on eBay when I said that 1 he sent had auto iris, because he tried to say that model doesn't have auto iris at all.

so I opened a PayPal case requesting refund, he immediately declined the refund then said Immediately after I could send back for a refund or replacement.

so I tried to work it out with him, then he backtracked and started saying he would try and repair and replace if couldn't be repaired only.

because they are brand new unused units I didn't want a repair done, and he was always saying 1 thing then another so didn't want to take risk he would send me more faulty units in replacement because I can't reopen a case on them.

so I escalated it to PayPal, and requested a refund only on the 3 non functioning units.

paypal said I had been awarded a refund of the full amount instead, so that's why I've got to return all of them.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those "world region" camera labels look self printed to me and non original.

I only have Chinese region cameras (changed to world region) so perhaps someone with Authorized Reseller 2732's can comment.

The Chinese ones on the other hand are what I would expect, random code, proper information, little corner removed from bottom right. Those are what was on the camera when it left the Hikvision factory.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
only 3 was non functional,

i wanted to to return those 3 only, seller initially said about repairing them, I then stopped getting replies on eBay when I said that 1 he sent had auto iris, because he tried to say that model doesn't have auto iris at all.

so I opened a PayPal case requesting refund, he immediately declined the refund then said Immediately after I could send back for a refund or replacement.

so I tried to work it out with him, then he backtracked and started saying he would try and repair and replace if couldn't be repaired only.

because they are brand new unused units I didn't want a repair done, and he was always saying 1 thing then another so didn't want to take risk he would send me more faulty units in replacement because I can't reopen a case on them.

so I escalated it to PayPal, and requested a refund only on the 3 non functioning units.

paypal said I had been awarded a refund of the full amount instead, so that's why I've got to return all of them.
Ah I see. Well they can be properly set to the right dev type, but it's technical and complicated. I know someone who could do it but they would charge for the work. You might prefer to just return them.

Or maybe someone on the forum can help for free?

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Think there's something iffy with them.

doesnt really seem to add up, serials on box and label different to camera, the Dev code wrong with correct model number and world region serial.

why would somebody play around with them in that way? are they rejects or something possibly?

dont know if it's possible to change the Dev code and correct it without bricking the unit... But what with the self printed labels etc I don't know if it's worth it... They are trying to hide something.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well it can be changed and I'd expect the cameras to work properly. But it's technical.

I suspect this seller has taken Chinese region cameras and (badly) hacked them to English, then put bullshit labels on trying to pass it off as legitimate world region.

I'd much rather buy cameras I know are Chinese cameras hacked to English properly with real labels etc. You might want to consider returning it and buying from somewhere like aliexpress or paying more for authoirzed reseller supplied cameras.

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wil be returning them for money back this week.

then just need to source more, going to order some bullet ones instead though from same series. DS-2CD2632F-IS instead because I noticed picture is sharper at night, does have more l.e.d.

do you have any recommendations or links to get decent Chinese region ones. Not too fussed about world region ones other than fact they can be updated. But they are on average £100 more so for 5 that's £500+ Couldn't justify that extra cost for same product.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Although I always resisted buying from China thinking it would all go wrong, when I saw the price difference for cameras like 2732 between aliexpress and the UK I took the plunge and then never looked back and I've had many many orders since without problems.

Other people I'm sure may have different recommendations but I would suggest aliexpress searching for DS-2CD2732F-IS and making sure it's at least 5.3.0

It does mean though that changing firmware later is not advisable unless you know what you're doing and support will need to come from the seller not Hikvision.

Hikvision haven't done anything meaningful with firmware updates in the last year other than making cameras harder to hack.

Click4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep it's silly why it's so much more money for same product!

i will have a look on aliexpress, is there import taxes though?

i also have a hikvision nvr, this is on latest firmware. Is that a problem at all? It worked fine with the ones I'm returning.

Enabler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just like anything imported into the UK, duty might be payable depending on what the value displayed on the package indicates. In my experience it's either £0 or £20 or something but I suppose ordering 100 cameras would be different :)

As long as the cameras report as English/US/World region (all the same thing) then should be fine with the NVR.