Hikvision cameras constantly disconnecting

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped a couple 2132 hikvisions for brand new PCI-T18F2S units. They work well, except that they disconnect from the network at least every hour. Sometimes they reconnect on their own, but sometimes I need to unplug and replug to get connected.

I am using the same cat5e cables and POE+ switch (netgear GS316PP) that have been working fine for years. I have tried both H.265 and H.265+ with no difference.

Can anyone recommend where to start? Are there logs that can be viewed? I use Blueiris and have posted below a picture of the hikvision video configuration screen.

Thanks, Eric

1649520720906.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris can struggle with codec on, so I would try that off and try H264. Also try CBR.

Another issue is sometimes the newer cams may take more power than the previous, but it seems you have a capable POE switch. But it could also be the tolerances on the new cams are tighter than the older cams and maybe there is a bad wire somewhere or the POE is going out.

Another issue could be the topology of your network - are these cameras going thru a router or have you dual NIC or VLAN the system? If going thru a router, that is probably the problem as the newer cams have a lot more bandwidth requirements and the consumer router cannot keep up.

Another issue is make sure the ethernet of every connection is at it's highest. Sometimes folks ethernet card get wonky and go to 100Mbps instead of the 1GB.

These are the 4 main reasons, but without knowing more details, it could be anything. What is the CPU% of the BI computer for example. Lot's of details needed to help troubleshoot.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the ideas of where to start. I switched to H264 (not +) a few hours ago and so far haven't had any disconnects. Hopefully it stays that way.

I do have my network switch plugged into my cable modem router, which is plugged into my pc.

My network switch is linking 10/100 with all the cams. It appears that that is the best my cams can do according to the specs:
1649526562902.png

The cpu usage on the blueiris pc is generally from 10-20%, but I was seeing up to 30% with the H265+.

Will report back on whether the cameras continue to not disconnect on the H264.

Thanks again, Eric

Blue Iris can struggle with codec on, so I would try that off and try H264. Also try CBR.

Another issue is sometimes the newer cams may take more power than the previous, but it seems you have a capable POE switch. But it could also be the tolerances on the new cams are tighter than the older cams and maybe there is a bad wire somewhere or the POE is going out.

Another issue could be the topology of your network - are these cameras going thru a router or have you dual NIC or VLAN the system? If going thru a router, that is probably the problem as the newer cams have a lot more bandwidth requirements and the consumer router cannot keep up.

Another issue is make sure the ethernet of every connection is at it's highest. Sometimes folks ethernet card get wonky and go to 100Mbps instead of the 1GB.

These are the 4 main reasons, but without knowing more details, it could be anything. What is the CPU% of the BI computer for example. Lot's of details needed to help troubleshoot.

geezernerd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yesterday I swapped a couple 2132 hikvisions for brand new PCI-T18F2S units. They work well, except that they disconnect from the network at least every hour. Sometimes they reconnect on their own, but sometimes I need to unplug and replug to get connected.

I am using the same cat5e cables and POE+ switch (netgear GS316PP) that have been working fine for years. I have tried both H.265 and H.265+ with no difference.

Can anyone recommend where to start? Are there logs that can be viewed? I use Blueiris and have posted below a picture of the hikvision video configuration screen.

Thanks, Eric

View attachment 124842
My guess would be the IP address for these cameras are clashing with other cameras / devices on your network that already have the same IP address.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Between the 2 new cameras I had about 50 disconnects overnight. The older 2 cameras had no disconnects.

So far I have tried h264, h264+, h265, h265+; changed all cams to CBR; decreased bitrates; and now I have gone into the router and assigned the cameras to IP addresses. Not sure how to find if there are any conflicts.

Is there anywhere to find a log that would give the reason for a disconnect?

Thanks, Eric

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Between the 2 new cameras I had about 50 disconnects overnight. The older 2 cameras had no disconnects.

So far I have tried h264, h264+, h265, h265+; changed all cams to CBR; decreased bitrates; and now I have gone into the router and assigned the cameras to IP addresses. Not sure how to find if there are any conflicts.

Is there anywhere to find a log that would give the reason for a disconnect?

Thanks, Eric
Keep this simple and disconnect all the camera save one of the new ones. If it doesn't disconnect in 24 hours add the other new camera to the network.

Monitor the results . . .

If those two camera's remain online and active for another 72 hours add one of the (older) camera's back to the network.

Going this route eliminates multiple possibilities in the trouble shooting process.

The overall goal is to determine if this is a power vs data issue. Power is somewhat easier to determine on a managed POE Switch as you can see the power consumption / voltage. I would go the extra step and run a premade cable to the new camera if possible. If not, take the camera down (Yeah a real PITA) and monitor how it behaves on the bench.

This removes the wiring infrastructure as potential issue . . .

NOTE: It goes without saying hard resetting the cameras to their OEM default settings removes the possibility of bad settings or a software conflict within the camera(s) this should be done first! :thumb: Each camera has their own logs so go through them to see if there was ever a IP conflict, cold start, etc.

If you see any error messages that indicate a cold start or similar working this narrows the problem to a power issue. Cold starts only display when the camera is first powered up and has nothing to do with data. Obviously if you see any network related errors that tells you the drop outs are data related and not a power issue (normally).

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Keep this simple and disconnect all the camera save one of the new ones. If it doesn't disconnect in 24 hours add the other new camera to the network.

If those two camera's remain online and active for another 72 hours add one of the (older) camera's back to the network.

Going this route eliminates multiple possibilities in the trouble shooting process.

The overall goal is to determine if this is a power vs data issue. Power is somewhat easier to determine on a managed POE Switch as you can see the power consumption / voltage. I would go the extra step and run a premade cable to the new camera if possible. If not, take the camera down (Yeah a real PITA) and monitor how it behaves on the bench.

This removes the wiring infrastructure as potential issue . . .

NOTE: It goes without saying hard resetting the cameras to their OEM default settings removes the possibility of bad settings or a software conflict within the camera(s) this should be done first! :thumb: Each camera has their own logs so go through them to see if there was ever a IP conflict, cold start, etc.

If you see any error messages that indicate a cold start or similar working this narrows the problem to a power issue. Cold starts only display when the camera is first powered up and has nothing to do with data. Obviously if you see any network related errors that tells you the drop outs are data related and not a power issue (normally).
Great algorithm, thanks! Would you happen to know where I would find the logs for a hikvision?

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks again! When I hit search, it says "searching" for a split second and nothing populates in the Log List.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks again! When I hit search, it says "searching" for a split second and nothing populates in the Log List.
The system offers two types of logs major vs minor. If you click on the drop down under the major logs you'll see items from login attempts etc. The Minor logs displays no less than 25 options to select from IP conflict, software, boot up etc.

It's important to define a date range where the issues were seen . . .

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I click "minor events" the dropdown only says minor events. No list.

ekbrewer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks to you all I believe the problem is resolved and I learned a lot about optimizing settings along the way. Thanks to the recommended Fing app, I found that I did have a couple IP conflicts. With those resolved, I've only had ONE disconnect all day (compared to 7-8 per hour)! Thank you all so much for your help. I hope I know enough to return the favor some day.
Eric

Reaction score

Thanks, Eric

View attachment 124842
I have the same problem. This started about two weeks ago. This is not an IP address problem everything on my network for static IPs are unique, I keep a tight list. I've been wondering if this the HIKVISION camera or the PoE switch. I have a small PoE switch that gets connected to the other switches. I was thinking it was the PoE switch but I do see orange and green lights on the HIKVISION cable. This is a major hassle. My one HIKVISION cam has a mount in masonry, climbing up, dismounting it, etc. The cable is set in masonry and is near impossible to replace. I guess <sigh> I can disconnect the cam, bring it inside, run a new cable to the PoE switch and monitor it. I can't even which computer I used to configure the cam with the HIKVISOIN app, I know I borrowed someone's windows machine since there is no MAC app, at least a year ago. All internal cams working fine minus one that lost all wifi functionality, it was my only wifi cam, all others including the HIKVISION are wired.