Hikvision Dedicated License Plate Reading

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
From the looks of what I can see of the cams on the ground you aren't going for a hidden or low-vis camera setup?

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From the looks of what I can see of the cams on the ground you aren't going for a hidden or low-vis camera setup?
I found using the IR illuminator and bullet camera sticks out too much for my taste. I don't mind if people can see it, just want it to look professional and not draw the eye, like turrets under eaves.

I have ordered two of the new hivkision low light turrets to test in their place, still waiting for them to come in though :(

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...want it to look professional and not draw the eye, like turrets under eaves.
That's usually my goal also. Walking around my neighborhood I see a number of cameras under the eaves. Those in a contrasting color to the house stand out, but if they match the house color you have to look carefully to see them, at least from the sidewalk.

A year ago I posted some video from a vandalism incident to nextdoor, and several neighbors asked me where my cameras were because they didn't notice any. I had four outdoors in plain sight under the eaves. Just fairly small and painted to match the house. Only one was kind of sneaky, a bare board cam 25mm square, protected only by several coats of outdoor latex paint, color matching the rough stone it's glued flush against. Most people miss that one even standing right underneath it. Probably won't last forever but it's still working after one year+ outdoors.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I posted a video to nextdoor; had a neighbor who saw the video and its perspective (front door camera) come over to my house and talk to me about the incident; after about 10mins she asked where the camera was and I pointed to it right infront of her face..

only those who have cameras, or those whom try to avoid cameras will notice them; otherwise they are background noise our brains dont process.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I guess I never posted a final picture:

I replaced the cameras with two of the Hikvision low lights, running at 1/1000 with the gain set at 12

Here's an example, the camera was running at 10fps for this video, I've since moved it up to 15 to get a smoother picture.