Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I Firmware Problems

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased a DS-2CD2042WD-I from NetView and it appears to be an English model camera like they said. (The serial number contains BBWR in it.)

The problem is that I can't use any of the firmware files from Hikvision USA or Europe's site. When I try to upgrade the firmware, I get a message saying "Failed to get the upgrade status". But, I was able to get a 5.4.0.160401 firmware file that worked from NetView directly.

I'm questioning if NetView somehow modified the firmware file to make this work.

Does anyone know what the "Failed to get the upgrade status" message means? Is there a way to tell for sure that my camera is an English model and not a hacked Chinese one?

(On a side note, I'm thinking I'd like to try to downgrade to 5.3 since I'm having connection problems and people here are saying that 5.3 is better. There is a downgrade firmware on this forum, but I'm also not able to get that to work. Before breaking my camera, I'd like to figure out what it really is.)

Thanks!

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Never heard of Netview before, but yes, it is possible that they have their own customized firmware and program that you have to use. They might use a slightly different protocol, slightly different firmware, you might have to use Netview's app (and will be unable to use iVMS-4500), you might not be able to get it working with a Hikvision NVR (unless you configure the camera as ONVIF), etc.

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
NetView is a re-seller on Amazon. The camera seems to work ok with BlueIris except for about 15 signal loss events each day. I have a feeling it's due to the 5.4 firmware and 5.3 would be more stable.

NetView told me that the camera should take the firmware from Hikvision's site, but I've been unable to make that work, so I think something fishy is going on, but maybe not. I was hoping to be able to somehow verify with the help of this forum since I'm new to these cameras.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are trying to upgrade, not sure what version you are trying to upgrade to if it is already running v5.4.0, I think that is the latest version available for download (I would say I have seen newer versions come preloaded in some cameras, but not for download).

If you want to "downgrade", can't help with that, but it is not a straightforward process. You will not geting working from the web interface, 5.4.0 will not allow you to go back.

You camera is not a chinese camera (BBWR).

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
The firmware on the website has a newer build number than what's in my camera. I figured, that maybe upgrading would fix my dropout problems.
When I first got the camera it had 5.3 and I wasn't able to upgrade to 5.4 without getting the firmware file from NetView. Today, I get the same problem trying to upgrade to the later build. I'm not really sure why I can't do it.

Any tips?

steve1515

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok... I think I just figured this out!

The firmware file on the USA site for the 2xx2 model has a PDF that lists my camera as supported, but is actually the wrong firmware. The correct firmware is actually the 2x22FWD. The PDF in the 2x22FWD firmware also lists my camera, but when I do a binary compare against the file NetView sent me, it comes up as a match.

So, it looks like my confusion is just that Hikvision incorrectly labeled their firmware files. :rolleyes:

Now, maybe someone has a downgrader for the 2x22FWD...