Hikvision DS-2CD2046G2-I POE issue

MiLykie

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a DS-2CD2046G2-I with the intention of powering it through POE.

To that end, when it arrived I happily unpacked it and I hooked it up to a TP-LINK POE injector called TL-POE2406. Power all up, and nothing happens. The camera did not appear on the LAN, not at 192.168.1.64 and actually not at all. Not via http(s), not via ping, not via SADC. Link is down, no action whatsoever.

So I used an external power adaptor (12V) and suddenly the cam appeared without issue, was reachable at the usual IP address, and was easy to configure with all possible means.

Is my cam faulty, or are there some rare issues with POE that I should know about? The POE injector is otherwise good, since it powers an external WIFI repeater usually. I was hoping there would be a "POE disable" option in the settings, but there is not, so it should be enabled. I have upgraded firmware to 5.7.1 and it didn't change anything. Otherwise the camera generally works (generally, as it does not display the usual "Playback" header at all between Live View and Configuration... but I will deal with that once the power issue is solved).

Can you think of anything work checking?
Thanks a bunch!
M.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have recently purchased a DS-2CD2046G2-I with the intention of powering it through POE.
To that end, when it arrived I happily unpacked it and I hooked it up to a TP-LINK POE injector called TL-POE2406.
That is a passive 24VDC power injector made for that wi-fi repeater...you need an "active" POE injector or POE switch that conforms to the 802.3af spec.

Try this one (I've had one in service for 2 years) ==>> iCreatin 48V POE Injector Adapter Power Supply,10/100Mbps IEEE 802.3af Compliant, Up to 100M (328 Feet), for Most Cisco / Polycom / Aastra Phones and More

Insure you have either the 12VDC adapter OR the proper 802.3af injector plugged in but not both. You may also want to read up on the often misused and misunderstood term "POE" ==>> Power over Ethernet , from Wikipedia.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MiLykie

n3wb
Reaction score
That is a passive 24VDC power injector made for that wi-fi repeater...you need an "active" POE injector or POE switch that conforms to the 802.3af spec.

Try this one (I've had one in service for 2 years) ==>> iCreatin 48V POE Injector Adapter Power Supply,10/100Mbps IEEE 802.3af Compliant, Up to 100M (328 Feet), for Most Cisco / Polycom / Aastra Phones and More

Insure you have either the 12VDC adapter OR the proper 802.3af injector plugged in but not both. You may also want to read up on the often misused and misunderstood term "POE" ==>> Power over Ethernet , from Wikipedia.
Thank you so much! I will get a proper 802.3af power supply (a switch, actually) and try that. I am aware that it is either 12VDC or PoE. I wasn't aware that there are passive PoE injectors, which do not follow 802.3af standard.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.