Hikvision DS-2CD2683G2-IZS No Motion Detect at Night at 115 ft

TonyK1321

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2683G2-IZS pointed at the road 115 ft away. During the day, the motion detect seems to work fine for all activity at the road. But at night, motion detect does not work. I have the shutter speed at 1/60, Day/Night Switch is Auto, motion 95% sensitivity, 3% percentage, What can I do to get this to work.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well that is 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor so it will perform poorly at night, especially at distance. That camera needs over 4 times more light than 2MP on the same sensor. Your sensor was designed for 2MP.

The rated IR distance is 101feet, but experience tells us you need to cut that in half or more, especially the faster shutter.

At 115 feet, at night all it really will see is headlights and that isn't what the motion was designed for.

Post a video sample.

In short you need a better camera that is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and probably more optical zoom.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Last edited:

TonyK1321

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. The chart of Sensor Size vs Pixel Density is particularly enlightening. I should have come to this forum before I bought that Hikvision.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is a mistake many make, including me and many here once upon a time - chasing MP.

They know that the average consumer is chasing MP, but also want a low cost camera. The only way to do that is to shove 8MP on a cheap sensor designed for 2MP or less quality.

And they bank on the consumer being fascinated with the nice bright static image on default settings and know that most have been marketed to just accept that cameras perform poorly in low light.

Then we find a site like this and find out that for less than the cost of a Ring spotlight camera we can buy a better camera that can actually get clean captures at night.

Use your camera as an overview camera and then get one that meets your goals.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope. For whatever reason the 1/1.2" are either fixed lens or a $2k PTZ.