Hikvision DS-7608NI-K2/8P + 8mp cameras (2CD2185 & 2CD2385) = no email attachments

DinoKustas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Hoping someone here can help.

I have a recently purchased DS-7608NI-K2/8P NVR - which has various 4mp cameras connected, directly on the NVR ports and also via LAN. Emails are set on line crossing and intrusion detection - they deliver and contain the snapshots as configured.

I have purchased a few 8mp cameras (2CD2185 & 2CD2385 models) now with a view to replacing one of the 4mp cameras, moving another and gaining a bit more camera coverage.

I have swapped the camera at the front door from 4mp to 8mp and instantly found that I wasn't getting attachments in the emails. Tried various things to ultimately end up with the odd line crossing detection email with attachments - maybe one every couple of days. Things tried include the resolution, the codec (H264, H264+, H265, H265+), differing types of motion event etc. I read about setting the configuration for "capture" schedule on the camera also, this too made zero difference.
I've even sat and watched the camera through the Windows iVMS application to see that the camera sometimes completely ignores motion and doesn't send any alert! This is all the same despite firmware version of the camera and sensitivity of triggers.

I've since just set up the other 8mp cameras in the house, again with differing configurations, and they are identical. I just get an email but no attachments.

Now, could I be missing something? Is my NVR not powerful enough to ensure these screenshots are sent on the 8mp cameras? Is there configuration that I may be missing? Or are these 8mp cameras temperamental?

I appreciate any advice, happy to provide screenshots of config if required also.

Thanks

Marcvz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dino,

Just letting you know that you are not alone, I am also experiencing this issue for a customers system and looking for some answers. If I reboot the NVR I find that the attachments are coming through but then after a while it starts to mis-behave. I have forwarded this onto my distributor for post sales support. If I find anything or receive any info back from them I will re-post it here.

The NVR that you have is supposed to support 4K cameras as I have the same model installed for the customer.

If you found any further info on this one it would be appreciated if you share it back.

Thanks and Regards,
Marc

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
an 8mp file to email would be huge.
run the camera at a lower resolution and see if the email comes through.
if it does,then you will know that the caption rate is too big to send

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Dino,

Just letting you know that you are not alone, I am also experiencing this issue for a customers system and looking for some answers. If I reboot the NVR I find that the attachments are coming through but then after a while it starts to mis-behave. I have forwarded this onto my distributor for post sales support. If I find anything or receive any info back from them I will re-post it here.

The NVR that you have is supposed to support 4K cameras as I have the same model installed for the customer.

If you found any further info on this one it would be appreciated if you share it back.

Thanks and Regards,
Marc
It supports 4k cameras but no way can you view more than 4 at once just done that experiment
its incoming band width is only 80mbps and one 4k cam at full resolution will be hitting approximately 16mbps

Marcvz

n3wb
Reaction score
the snapshot is taken from substream.

The image file size (when it actually works) is average 27KB so in no way are they huge images. X3 to an email and we arent even pushing 100KB.

This is also the case for the 4MP cameras and any other that is connected. Email snapshot images are not high res.

Thanks for your input.

Marcvz

n3wb
Reaction score
N
It supports 4k cameras but no way can you view more than 4 at once just done that experiment
its incoming band width is only 80mbps and one 4k cam at full resolution will be hitting approximately 16mbps
Yep you are correct but when using compression it does aid to that bottleneck. What is concerning is even if there is only ONE 4K camera online, this issue still exists where the attachments are not coming through consistently. So for that fact I dont think it is a bandwidth issue. Also when testing we were able to run up to 6 4K cameras from this NVR before starting to hit close to the 80Mbps. This was measured through a switch for actual data rates.

Marcvz

n3wb
Reaction score
Also to note that we have checked the obvious like the SMTP relay server, spam filtering etc and confirm there is no attachment stripping on emails. And when we do tune the cameras video stream down it does not stabilise this. I initially tried to lower the stream quality in tune with the bandwidth theory but found that not to be the cause or solution so I wonder if it is just something with the new 4k cameras. I will setup directly from one camera the event and alerting and see if it behaves any different than the NVR.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
N

Yep you are correct but when using compression it does aid to that bottleneck. What is concerning is even if there is only ONE 4K camera online, this issue still exists where the attachments are not coming through consistently. So for that fact I dont think it is a bandwidth issue. Also when testing we were able to run up to 6 4K cameras from this NVR before starting to hit close to the 80Mbps. This was measured through a switch for actual data rates.
i got to 5 using ivms-4200, and not out of the nvr via a monitor, sad as you have to pull them back on resolution and then might as well stay at a lower mp camera
good to know that the email pic is in sub steam i assumed the capture box set the picture resolution in the camera gui for that

Marcvz

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you using H.265 when testing using ivms? Just curious.

DinoKustas

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dino,

Thanks and Regards,
Marc
Hi Marc,

Many thanks for your response. I'm getting really frustrated with the new range of IP cameras at the moment. They're clearly just not playing along as they should! I am at the point where I randomly get some screenshots sent over for the line crossing detection. Nothing has changed on the cameras though, which is showing me there's a flaw somewhere! I am getting emails without the attachments every time without fail though! Same applies to motion detection etc.

The NVR doesn't seem to have any problems with doing the 4k videos (had 3 plugged in along with all of my other cameras at the same time). But the events with pictures are the issue.

I've even tried setting up a PC with the iVMS-4200 client to try and get emails from that, but I don't think it has the capability to send the screenshots, just the messages? I could be wrong there though?

I guess what's frustrating is that the other non 8mp cameras are all happily sending me email attachments via the NVR, so this is clearly an 8mp camera issue.

an 8mp file to email would be huge.
run the camera at a lower resolution and see if the email comes through.
if it does,then you will know that the caption rate is too big to send
As mentioned already, the screenshots come from the substream, the emails are always tiny.

PS has anyone tried this on the next model up NVR? Or could this simply be down to this model NVR? Thanks

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score
It’s not just that particular nvr with these I have the standard 7608 E2 with 4mp. This has 80mbps and get emails on one and blanks on the other camera which occasionally sends one photo. The 8mp cameras won’t work properly on that nvr you have mine only says it supports up to 6mp

DinoKustas

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually my NVR has full 4k support and is listed as capable of recording the 8mp cameras - which is does fine, just doesn't do the attachments!

TJ01

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually my NVR has full 4k support and is listed as capable of recording the 8mp cameras - which is does fine, just doesn't do the attachments!
Looks like it’s just a overall software bug across the whole product line :)

Shyam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
did you manage to get this sorted? I've for 5mp cameras and I need to reduce the resolution to 1080p to be able to get attachments sent...