Hikvision DVR wifi

xchristty

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Hikvision DVR IDS-7140HQHI-M1/S and i want to put it on wifi network but it doesn't recognise the wifi dongle on USB. The dongle is from TP LINK, also I have updated the DVR firmware from Hikvision website...
On the specs the DVR can be used on wifi on usb but.....
Thank you!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
According to Amazon, Romania has access to devices on the Amazon UK store. There you have access to TP-LINK products. I've used close to a dozen of their TL-WR802N portable, multi-mode wireless devices to give a wired-only devices wireless ability such a laser printers and older gaming consoles, by using it's "client" mode. There's also a dual band version, the TL-WR902AC.

There is no software or drivers to be installed on your DVR, gaming console, TV, etc. Your device "thinks" it's plugged into a LAN cable.

You connect it to your LAN, run the wizard, select "client" mode, give it a unique static IP (in the same subnet as the wireless router or access point you want to connect to but outside of the router's DHCP pool and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway IP equal to the LAN IP of the Internet-connected router), have it scan for the SSID of the wireless router, select that and enter the wireless password. It will connect to the Wi-Fi. Move its Ethernet cable over to the NVR/DVR which is either in DHCP mode or, like the WR802, has a unique static IP in the same subnet as the router but outside the router's DHCP pool.

TL-802N features

TL-802N Users Manual

TL-WR702N-client-mode.jpg

TP-LINK_WR802n.jpg

___

TL-WR902AC features

TL-WR902AC Users Manual

TL-WR902AC-client-mode.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More on this ^^^.
The WR-802N comes with a wall wart to power the unit with 5VDC but its USB cable can be plugged into an available USB port that supplies 5VDC so you could very likely power it with the DVR's USB port (many have 2, 1 for mouse and 1 for flash drive backup).

I have powered it with the USB port on old xBox 360 gaming consoles and laser printers.

xchristty

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for info, I wll try one of these. But my wonder still remains....why in the hell is not recognizing the wifi dongle, I tried two different models. In the spec it says he can....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for info, I wll try one of these. But my wonder still remains....why in the hell is not recognizing the wifi dongle, I tried two different models. In the spec it says he can....
Does the TP-LINK specifications say that the particular TP-LINK Wi-Fi dongle is compatible with Linux and needs no drivers?
Which model of TP-LINK is it?
But the real question is: How would you be able to configure the dongle on the DVR to log onto a specific Wi-Fi name ("SSID") and give password?

Last edited:

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I was doing research on this, there were only two models of wifi dongles that worked. These dongles were also all "N" single band, 2.4 ghz. TL-WN725N and TL-WN823N. The wifi connection will only let you use the cloud connection and you will only see the analog cameras. If you added IP cameras to the DVR, it will not show up. DVR will not show up on the discovery tool (SADP) and you will not be able to log in to DVR using IP address.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
also I have updated the DVR firmware from Hikvision website...
On the specs the DVR can be used on wifi on usb but.....
When in DVR's menu or logged into its webGUI with a PC, is there no tab for "Wi-Fi" under "Network" ?

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what I see on my DVR. My unit on GUI 4.0 EUI with the icons along the top.
1718639858453.png