Hikvision email set up v Dahua

Jim W

Young grasshopper
Sep 19, 2014
Hi all
Just getting back into Ip cameras to help a friend set up a system I got a couple of Dahua cameras and a couple of Imou plus a genereric NVR
with Dahua software on which I set up the email notifications without any problems on my own website server (not gmail etc) used port 587
instead of the suggested 465.
I came back to my older Hik set up and can not get the email settings to work on the cameras or the NVR which used to work fine until all the ISP's
ganged up and stopped it all.
This Dahua stuff and all the no name stuff just seems to work great together with no compatability issues but trying to hook up an Imou Cruiser to the Hik NVR
no chance
So the question is am I wasting my time trying to get the Hik email working and with Hik in general ?

Hi,

I've set up email notifications on Hik NVRs with no issues, although this was using Gmail. What are you using for your email? I might be able to test and confirm it work.

Cheers,

Mark

After the Hikvision purge I did get Gmail working but I think they stopped the less secure device option I also tried to get port forwarding to work on my new 4g LTE router with out much luck as I think they only allow certain ports even DMZ didn't work so I'll just keep my old Hikvision on my house and use Dahua on the new install it just seems to work without much effort and the equipment seems more readily available and cheaper

4G SIMs usually don't have a fixed IP address and often use shared IP addresses so you can't do port forwarding anyway. For Gmail you have to set a device password rather than using your normal Gmail login details. I tested this just a few weeks ago and it still works.

I'll give the Gmail another go . I did manage to get a real IP on the router and can log into it on port 80 and also managed to get port 8081 to work on a camera
but there's something not right with it so I'll just use the hik connect for remote