Hikvision IP v Hikvision TVi

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
IP has higher resolution but is the extra cost worth it?

What other advantage does Hikvision IP have over Hikvision TVI?

Also any advantages of TVI over IP?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
TVI was a crossover technology and designed for applications where it would be cost prohibitive to pull new cable or where pulling new cable simply would be impossible thus TVI would give older analog wired situations an option to go HD/AHD.

If you are pulling cable and this is a new install go with IP.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
For the same resolution, TVI is typically substantially less expensive than IP. The other main benefit is its ability to reuse existing coax for legacy systems (which also saves money).

TVI maxes out at 3MP in current products but Hikvision says 5MP is planned for later this year. Dahua has announced shipping 8MP CVI this Spring so an 8MP TVI camera in the next year is quite possible.

On the other hand, Hikvision has a broader range of IP camera options, even beyond resolution, including more form factors, WDR options, color low light options, etc in IP than for TVI.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've read that TVi has better night vision than IP POE due to the fact POE does not deliver enough power for the ir's.

This true? Am I splitting hairs here?

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TVI maxes out at 3MP in current products but Hikvision says 5MP is planned for later this year. Dahua has announced shipping 8MP CVI this Spring so an 8MP TVI camera in the next year is quite possible.
I already saw working samples of 8MP HDTVI back in 2015 at CPSE, no clue on when CVI/TVI will hit the market with 8MP, but they should both arrive.

I've read that TVi has better night vision than IP POE due to the fact POE does not deliver enough power for the ir's.
Not true.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
I already saw working samples of 8MP HDTVI back in 2015 at CPSE, no clue on when CVI/TVI will hit the market with 8MP, but they should both arrive.
Dahua told us next month (April) for shipping 8MP CVI. I agree a number of companies have been talking / demoing 8MP HD analog for some time but that is the clearest indicator we have received about shipping in production.