Hikvision network setup

gareth

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I’ve got a couple of questions regarding a install I was asked to do. 19 cameras. 16 cams plugged into the nvr the other 3 connected to a switch with the switch connected to the nvr and another switch for internet. my questions are?

1, is this the best way to set up
2, the 3 cams on the switch had different IP range to the cams on nvr. with different gateways I assume the buildings network switch has set these IPs. Should I have set the cams to the same as the nvr cams? These 3 cameras are disconnecting every so often would this be a ip set up issue.

thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A POE NVR cannot work with more cams on a LAN switch if the total number of all cams exceeds the number of POE ports.
IOW, a 16 channel POE NVR can have 12 plugged into it and no more than 4 on a switch connected to the NVR's LAN (12 + 4 = 16).

Cams plugged into a POE NVR's ports get put on a private subnet by the NVR to keep them off the Internet (like 10.1.1.XXX).
Cams plugged into a separate POE switch would need to be assigned static IP's on the same subnet as the NVR's LAN (like 192.168.1.XXX).

NOTE: If the total number of cams exceed the NVR's bandwidth capability you can have disconnect issues even if the total number of cams does NOT exceed the number of NVR POE ports; this bandwidth demand is determined by the connected cam's resolutions, compression types and frame rates (FPS).

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would have to be a 32/64/128 channel poe NVR if 17-19 cameras work sometimes.
Could be a bandwidth issue, could be a network setup issue. The cameras on the switch will have to be on the same subnet as the lan port of the NVR, which would be different than the internal subnet of the poe ports. If they work sometimes I would lean towards a NVR bandwidth issue or IP conflict of the cameras on the switch and some other device. Are the switch cameras DHCP or static?