Hikvision NVR and VCA trigger question.

Reaction score
Currently I am trying to diagnose why some of my VCA trigger clips playback really choppy and skippy when viewed on my phone through the Hikconnect app.

I tried the solution proposed in the last post of this thread. Hikvision Image Problem and Skipping during playback because I do continuously record 24/7. Well that didn't stop my problem, which I am pretty sure is going to end up being hardware limitations of the phones however, this resulted in an interesting issue.

After unchecking the trigger channel recordings in the last post in the aforementioned thread, when I use the desktop iVMS-4200 and search for VCA triggers, they do not appear. None. However, on the hikvision hik-connect app, I can clearly see them and playback. Strange.

Hardware.
Hikvision DS-7616NI-Q2/16P
DS-2CD2T85G1-I5

Bonus question, if I install two HDD's, is it possible to have the 24/7 recordings saved to one, and the event triggers to the other? Thanks

EDIT:
I've since reverted the changes to the trigger channel recordings and iVMS-4200 is still not showing my triggers but the hikconnect app is.

Last edited:

John Williamson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How do you connect your system to the Hik Connect app? If you're using the Hik Connect connection type then the connection between your phone and NVR is not direct, possibly even when you're on your home network. To prove it's not simply a bandwidth/network problem - delete the NVR from the app and while on the local network with your phone, re add the NVR using the IP/Domain connection type, using the the NVR's local IP address and try playback from there. This will ensure you're connecting directly with your own wifi being the only limitation. If you'd rather not delete the NVR first (Hik Connect may not let you add the NVR again via it's local address as it may see it as a duplicate) just download IVMS 4500 from the App Store and add it to that.

Reaction score
If anyone ever digs up this post from the dead, I found my issue.

When logged into the NVR, and in the video settings section. You can pick a camera channel and change the settings rights, well, in the NVR menu of your cameras if you go to stream type you get Main, sub, and EVENT. This event stream option is only available on the NVR, not through the cameras.

I had my bandwidth and everything set up nice and good, which is why my live view through hikconnect played fine. The freaking Event bandwidth was 16000kbps. Which is uh, why it was choppy, obviously.