Hikvision NVR camera setup via browser issue

Bernagh

n3wb
Reaction score
I am seeking help with an issues on multiple NVRs.

Model: DS-7604NI-E1 4P/A
Firmware: v3.4.96

The issues described below are also on a second NVR (same model but earlier firmware).

Cameras: HikVision UK originals. All cameras have the latest 5.4.5 or 5.5 firmware applied based on what is available on hikvision.co.uk

The 2 systems have been installed for a couple of years, but recently swapped a couple of cameras for PTZ models (UK not grey imports) at great prices which means I need to set up some new line crossing and intrusion detections.

I am using a MAC and Safari for Web based administration as both systems are being access via a VPN.

Live View works without issue (albeit only if I select sub stream). If I select main stream I never get an image, sub stream will appear almost instantly. Whenever I go into Smart Event to set up Line Crossing / Intrusion Detection, I never get an image, making the drawing of line impossible. I did try reducing the image resolution of the main stream back to the 720P resolution, but still no image.

I have a virtual host enabled to access the cameras individually, when I try using direct access to the cameras, again Live View works, but this time all 4 cameras in Live View stream camera 1. Camera 2, 3 and 4 Live View, accessed via <ip address>:65002 ... 4 all stream the image from camera 1. However I am definitely connected to camera 2 - 4 as they are different, IP Addresses, model numbers, etc, it is just the stream that is wrong.

In summary:
How do I get a “preview” image in Events / Smart Events / anywhere so that I can setup Live Crossing, privacy panels etc?
Why in virtual host modes is live view showing the stream from the wrong camera?

Some answers:
The NVR is being accessed via a VPN (using VDSL).

The preview stream for configuring Line Crossing, privacy, etc are the Main Stream - not the sub stream, so bandwidth is key. I have proved this using WireShark.

On a 2 Mbps VDSL uplink it cannot cope with the Main Stream if it is routed via the NVR virtual hosts.

Add static routes to enable direct IP access to the cameras on the NVR PoE ports. The NVR becomes just a router rather than a reverse proxy using the virtual hosts.

Last edited: