Hikvision NVR chipsets variations between US and China models

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you heard anything about the US versions of the Hikvision NVRs using a different chipset as opposed to the ones made in China? I was talking to the Hikvision REP here and he said that's one of the reason's why it's cheaper but I've never purchased 2 of the same model (one from China and one from the US) to see if it's true. The rep was saying the US ones use TI (Texas Instruments). I don't remember what he said about the China ones but it wasn't TI for sure. I can probably crack open my DS-7608NI-I2/8P and find out.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt Hikvision use TI, but I've been wrong before! And imagine a Hikvision USA REP not telling the truth about the models in order to preserve USA sales. Personally I can't imagine that (because it's a reality).

n0fx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I was a bit sceptical when he said that and only one way to verify, crack one of them open. When I get my next US model, I'll open it up and take out the heatsink to see if it's true or not. I just got the DS-9632NI-I8 but I didn't need to open it up. All the HDDs are plugged in via the front.

I wanted to know if someone else heard the same thing or not. It could be a ploy to just discount the cheaper Chinese models and to buy the local US editions. Only caveat is the warranty is a bitch to redeem if you need to deal with China suppliers.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They could use TI, it's just that Hikvision generally prefer to use Chinese stuff.

I personally think that local supplier warranty is better than Hikvision warranty. The law on this stuff is different in the UK and Europe though.