Hikvision Outdoor Cam Recommendation

hundreds

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase one outdoor camera that overlooks my driveway and pathway to my front door. I would prefer a camera with a lens that's wide enough to capture everything. I would say the driveway is around 35-45 feet length and the width is about the same as well. The area is also well lit at night from the street lights.

My house is 2 stories so I'm thinking about mounting it to the corner of the roof then it can see everything. It needs to be able to withstand rain and the condensation as well.

Also, in the future I would like to add a camera by my front door to capture peoples faces as they walk up to the home.

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase one outdoor camera that overlooks my driveway and pathway to my front door. I would prefer a camera with a lens that's wide enough to capture everything. I would say the driveway is around 35-45 feet length and the width is about the same as well. The area is also well lit at night from the street lights.
totally never gonna happen; wide angle cameras can only identify targets at night to about 15ft away.. and street lights is not well lit by camera standards, go take your smartphone out there at night and see how well lit it thinks it is..

I suggest you start off at Camera Calculator / Design Software and keep PPF > 100 for any hopes of human ID at night, if you mount a camera higher than 8ft off the ground you can pretty much guarantee it wont ID anyone's faces as nobody walks around looking at the clouds/stars.. You going to need several cameras protect your property, no way around it.

If you cant ID human beings correctly; dont even bother..

hundreds

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

In my original post I overestimated the distance from my house to the end of the driveway where there sidewalk starts. I took a look at the Camera Calculator link and I can clearly ID faces at night with these settings:

Resolution: 4MP
PPF: 120+
Imager Size: 1/3.6" - 1/4"
Focal Length: 2-3.5mm
Angle of view: 60-80 degrees
Distance: 16 ft
width: 20 ft

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
totally never gonna happen; wide angle cameras can only identify targets at night to about 15ft away.. and street lights is not well lit by camera standards, go take your smartphone out there at night and see how well lit it thinks it is..

I suggest you start off at Camera Calculator / Design Software and keep PPF > 100 for any hopes of human ID at night, if you mount a camera higher than 8ft off the ground you can pretty much guarantee it wont ID anyone's faces as nobody walks around looking at the clouds/stars.. You going to need several cameras protect your property, no way around it.

If you cant ID human beings correctly; dont even bother..
I don't think he wants to identify anybody, I think he just wants a wide view to see what is going on.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think he wants to identify anybody, I think he just wants a wide view to see what is going on.
overview cameras are fine once you have the basics covered; he's wanting what every newbie wants.. everything and the kitchen sink out of 1 or two cameras.

just trying to save him the trouble; police will laugh at your video having about 25 noisey pixels of a face.

hundreds

n3wb
Reaction score
Yup. I mainly want this camera as an overview to see what is going on in my driveway. I plan to have a 2nd & 3rd camera installed that will be used to ID faces

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do it the other way around and if your not getting the results you need (ID) then you can repurpose that camera for an over view camera and try again.. ID is more important and harder to accomplish than overview, prioritize properly.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
do it the other way around and if your not getting the results you need (ID) then you can repurpose that camera for an over view camera and try again.. ID is more important and harder to accomplish than overview, prioritize properly.
I agree get your enter/exit points with a nice close up camera and get a good face Id then get the wide overview.