Hikvision PoE switch won't talk to ONV PoE switch

xsinese

n3wb
Reaction score
I have so many HiKvision IP cameras scattered across a farm and they cant all get to the control room where the NVR is. I tried to link a 4port ONV PoE switch (ONV-H1064PLS) to the 24port Hikvision PoE switch (DS-3E0526P-E/M) by connecting one of the switch-port of the Hikvision switch to one of the ONV uplink ports with a straight cable and nothing happened. I am wondering if the ONV support Auto MDI/MDX but I know the Hikvision does.

But earlier in another location of the farm, I tried connecting the switch-port of an Hikvision 8port PoE switch (DS-3E0310HP-E ) to an uplink port of an 8-port ONV PoE switch (ONV-H1108PLS) and it worked with a straight cable.

In a bit to force it to work, I used an 8-port Linksys Gigabit network switch in the middle of the 24port Hikvision and 4port ONV PoE switches before I could connect the cameras.

My question now is would a cross cable work in this situation or should I just remove the ONV PoE switch and use Hikvison 8port PoE switch?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My question now is would a cross cable work in this situation or should I just remove the ONV PoE switch and use Hikvison 8port PoE switch?
The specs on both of those switches state they're un-managed so configuring for auto-negotiation is not an issue. The specs on the ONV state that it IS auto mdi-x compliant.

IMO, having to resort to using a crossover cable to accommodate a simple network component that's not complying with auto mdi-x would be a step backwards and one more thing to remember....I'd put the working switch in its place and use the ONV switch as a doorstop unless it can function properly in another situation....and in that case it would be clearly labelled. :cool:

Last edited: