Hikvision vs. Dahua for new installs

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm going to install two systems. The first at a vacation home at a lake. It's a small manufactured home and six cameras will cover all the areas. So I was thinking about a eight channel NVR for this system. I could still add two more cameras if needed.
The second is for my home on twenty acres. It has a few barns and outbuildings. Most of the conduit was put in at construction so running cable will be easier. This is going to be at least a sixteen channel system may even a thirty two.

I started planning out these systems using Hikvision equipment but have started also now looking at Dahua.

I just wanted some opinions if you were going to start from scratch which system would you choose to be your brand to install.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buried cable (even in conduit) and between buildings warrants special considerations. Fiber optic is actually more desirable. There are length constraints especially for copper. Data wiring shouldn't be in the same conduit as power.

You're probably better off with some well placed cameras that are hard to avoid than trying the cover 100% of all the buildings. The more details you provide (distance between buildings, if power is in all buildings, number of cams per building, etc.), the better the advice you'll get.

This is useful for camera placement planning http://ipvm.com/calculator

I'm inclined to say dahua too from things I've been reading, but hikvision is fine too just don't buy hikvision from ali/ebay

Last edited by a moderator:

mikem

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm spending my time back at the drawing board. Much more to it than I thought.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think you should go for ******** they are better in terms of service and quality.
that company looks like they just sell re branded dahua. likely with older, outdated, crappier firmware.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think you should go for CP PLUS they are better in terms of service and quality.
You were just asking if anyone had heard about them and now you are saying they are better at service and quality?

SPAM! Ignore this @mikem Stick with Dahua which is broadly recommended here.

[FONT=&quot]Hello, Everyone i am trying to find good IP cameras for my office in decent budget can anyone tell me how is Cp plus as i have seen it everywhere advertising and many in my area are using it..can anyone suggest good dome or bullet camera thank you![/FONT]

nejakejnick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was looking at ebay/ali on some Dahuas, because I do not want to deal with Chinese Hikvision firmware problems, and also my favourite seller had some flooding problem and he no longer offer free express shipping or many of Hikvision camera models, but those Dahua cams had in description that they also cannot be upgraded, so what does that mean? I thought Dahua had no region firmware problems.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that means they wont/cannot provide you with firmware files, which is common as only authorized vendors and resellers get access to them.

Firmware updates are not something you'll need to do with a Dahua, they ship w/stable firmware and work fine out of the box.. at least all mine have.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I like hikvision or their oem because they seem to offer a bit more variety for mounting boxes rather than the generic ones that I've seen from Dahua

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
that means they wont/cannot provide you with firmware files, which is common as only authorized vendors and resellers get access to them.

Firmware updates are not something you'll need to do with a Dahua, they ship w/stable firmware and work fine out of the box.. at least all mine have.
One thing they don't do is release a firmware that has MAJOR and I mean MAJOR bugs which a kid could find doing a 10 minute test. That's why it's less of an issue. Remember v3.3.2 for HIkvision NVRs, that ruined e-mails and then v3.4.0 caused random reboots and abnormal shutdowns. What a complete joke.