Hikvisions rj45 connectors failing

dalepa

Reaction score
My Hikvisions on the Gulf Coast (100% humidity, and salt air) keep failing from what appears to be the rj45 connector corrosion. I used the hik connector (see image below) on the last camera, and it starting going bad in just a few weeks.

Is there some way to stop the corrosion or some other extra protection I can try?

Attachments

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try the 'self amalgamating' tape. It comes under different names. Other members might chime in on some stuff you can get locally.

Basically its tape that sticks to itself and becomes one.

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
^that's the stuff. People in the comms industry love that stuff. Even the amateur radio guys who put those giant antenna arrays up use em.

alphawave7

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The dish/cable jockeys call this 'monkey shit'...yep, you can google it. :)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's another (albeit with lower efficacy): 3M rubber electrical (or "splicing) tape. This, in my opinion, is a very good temporary solution to your climate proofing needs. Creates a very good seal which and you can get it off when you need it off...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-3-4-in-x-22-ft-Temflex-Splicing-Tape-2155/202195401

3M Temflex 2155 Rubber Splicing Tape is a conformable self-fusing rubber electrical insulating tape. It is designed for low voltage electrical insulating and moisture sealing applications. Temflex 2155 is Underwriters Laboratories (UL) Listed for use up to 600 volts.
  • Compatible with solid dielectric cable insulations
  • Self-fusing rubber splicing tape
  • Flexible over a wide temperature range
  • 3/4 in x 22 ft x .030 in

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Once the connector is closed up I smear them thoroughly in silastic. Thoroughly sealed, but can be removed if necessary.