Home Insurance Policy requires monitored solution.

dalepa

Reaction score
After the hurricane in 2009, its been a crazy trying too get home insurance in Houston. Now I'm being denied because I don't have a monitored home security system even though I have 10 camera that I self monitor...

So, I decide to go get a monitored system, and it just as crazy trying to find a monitored solution...

Any suggestions for basic monitoring solutions?

dalepa

Reaction score
After several days trying to "google" find a monitored system, i give up...

Now that im being forced into a monitored security solution, I might as well try to jump into the home automation game and try to integrate home automation with some security system. I have 30 days to get it into place..

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Basically my home insurnace is requiring that I have a professionally monitored solution for theft and fire protection. [/FONT]

Who's leading this market now? [FONT=arial, helvetica]Honeywell’s tuxedo and z-wave controller built in looks interesting... I would be nice if my hikvision alerts could also role up into some system too..
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica]tips?[/FONT]

Stormin_NC

n3wb
Reaction score
Alarm.com is a good platform that is resold through a lot of local dealers. Good z wave home automation features and Web and apps to go with it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now I'm being denied because I don't have a monitored home security system even though I have 10 camera that I self monitor...

Any suggestions for basic monitoring solutions?
Isn't that silly? Who does 911 dispatcher take more seriously? The alarm monitoring company that calls with mostly false alarms or the homeowner that calls and says, I am watching someone burglarize my house in real time on my smartphone? In my experience, 30-60 minutes for response to monitored burglar alarms.

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just replaced an older ADT system with a new DSC system. As a side project I looked at a home automation system like HomeSeer. HA is interesting, but could be a real time sump of tinkering and complications. I gave up on HA and focused only on the alarm system. My house was already wired, so I didn't do anything with wireless equipment. Even though I didn't use wireless equipment, DSC makes a wireless version of most everything I installed.

If you don't have any system now, you need a full kit: panel, box, power supply, battery keypad, sensors, communications link. I went with an internet based monitoring solution so that I could get rid of my POTS line. It also allows me control the system remotely and notify me of non-alarm conditions (low battery, alarm arm/disarm, system faults, etc)

Programming these things can be a bit complicated because the user interface is very limited in most systems. DSC has a pc based program for programming the panel (requires an optional $25 cable) that is still a bit tricky to get used to but allows you to see all the options and is smart enough to check your settings. For example, if you setup a zone but do not add it to a partition it will warn you.

How many zones you have is up to you. I have a zone for every window, plus 2 motion sensors, smoke detectors, water detectors (eventually) - I'm around 25 zones I think. Buy a system that supports expansion for more zones than you think you need; the base cost difference is small. I have the 1864 base system. It starts with 8 zones and allows expansion up to 64. In the DSC system expansion is done through add in cards (8 zones each). I had to add a second box (and aux power board and power supply and battery) because I have so many zone expanders.

There are systems where the keypad has the control panel built in. I'd avoid those because I expect that they would offer limited expansion abilities.

You can tie alarm systems to video if your cameras have an alarm input or you have an alarm input on your video system. Then you set the alarm system to trigger the video system.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I like Simplisafe.com, easy self install, no contract and you can stop and start monitoring any time. Monitoring is 15 or 25 a month if you want to turn on and off over the internet.