Home invasion on camera, now what? (and some lessons) ( From Reddit)

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This post was taken from Reddit. This is not my post, I am not taking credit or ownership of this.

I just want to get this forums ideas on this.

__

___

What is this subs opinion on this topic?

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Their first failure is considering the cams a "security system." But I guess if you leave your doors open you're probably not arming an alarm system either so...

I have a chime that goes off when any of my doors are opened with alerts also sent to my phone. That runs 24x7. Simple but effective. You learn to filter out the "noise" easily after a short time. If I hear a chime and I didn't open a door or know of some reason why it was opened, then something isn't right.

The alarm system operates separately and is armed on its own schedule at night/away/otherwise when set.

Cams just record whatever may happen, most all of which run continuous record with motion alerts.

Last edited:

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what an "ADU door" is.

Odd they broke in during the day. I wonder how big that house is. They came and went over the course of several hours whilst people were at home and no one heard them until the last time? Damn...

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An ADU is otherwise referred to as an accessory dwelling unit, additional dwelling unit, secondary suite, or granny flat. Put simply, it is a secondary structure on a residential lot in addition to the main house – this includes converting a detached or attached garage into a full living quarters.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
- "I'm almost of the opinion that I need some sort of active safety"

Yeah, a lead dispensing safety device. And the whole household needs to be fully trained in its use.

Cameras are for when the crime is over. Luckily his wife was not harmed. Could have been much worse than some things stolen.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
This incident simply affirmed the reality of life and how many just casually go through it with their eyes and ears closed. Security at the highest level is a way of life or Lifestyle its not just a thing or single piece solution. There are four rings of security and it first starts off with a security audit or threat assessment of your person(s) and environment. If you literally live in the woods thousands of miles from the next human being.

Human threat is near zero . . .

The biggest threat to that person living in the woods is mother nature and wild animals . . .

When a person lives in the suburbs it depends upon where you actually live and many places have online tools which are called Heat Maps. These heat maps will call out all the different crimes from B&E, Rape, Murder, etc. If you're Joe Average and you so happen to live in an area like I did way back in the day Washington Heights in NYC. You had a high probability of being mugged, shot, killed, raped.

Now, if you're some super rich and famous person of note by default your threat level is easily 2-5 times higher than Joe Average. The mere fact you have money and expensive possessions makes you a target.

Regardless, once you determine your threat level the next portion of the security audit is to identify all of the weak points on the property. Next is to determine the same for the home and this is always going to be a window & doors. This means the next element of security is Force Protection which are the physical barriers that make it harder to breach / penetrate a window & door.

Ideally, force protection would prevent anything from breaching the line but in most cases that never happens. But, that isn't the overall goal of force protection as it is to offer you the home owner Time! Time is the victor and is the only thing that will allow a person and their family to call out for help whether it be a CS, Police, Security, etc. Time will allow a person to take those critical steps to secure their loved ones in a Shelter In Place (SIP). Again, this provides more time for the authorities to arrive to render assistance to you and the family. In most cases in North America there is almost zero chance the police or armed guards will arrive in time.

So it really comes down to those who embrace in Stand Your Ground / Castle Law . . .

As they say its better to be judged by 12 than to be carried out by 6! :thumb:

With respect to security awareness it comes down to planning, environment, finances, and testing / validation. Every three letter agency relies on the most important thing and that is information. If you're informed, this means you're aware, if you're aware you can react. This means having sensors that provide you advanced warning of someone / something has breached a defined area or zone.

This is why fencing plays a important part of the four rings of security or force protection. Perimeter lighting not only provides nice curb appeal but removes dark areas where a person can lie in wait. Lighting provides what many of us have which are the security cameras to document that activity and use it for later use for proof. Given IP camera has advanced so much in the last five years in terms of low light, color, tracking, AI, etc. These new generation of cameras are no longer considered passive solutions but active measures that can be integrated with Home Automation but true security alarm systems.

As it has been said millions of times by me all of this must be implemented in a layered approach that offers a measure of redundancy and fail over.

Everyday I read about some Joe Blow that spent $999999999999999999999999999.99 on a smart lock. :lmao:

I always laugh because 100% of the time I already know they aren't serious about security and more about convenience! :facepalm: Ask yourself when was the last time you ever saw a smart lock on Bank, Police, Military, etc??

Don't mistaken or believe a scan & go mag lock is the same as a smart lock - it isn't! :thumbdown:

This is right up there with the fools who insist upon integrating voice control to the largest door in their home - Garage Door?!?! :wtf: You got's be 12 kinds of stupid to integrate the largest door in your home to voice control. Now, having said this there are edge cases where this is being done to offer a measure of normalcy to a person. Such as those who have physical disabilities or mobility issues. But, this is normally coupled with security measures to ensure integrating such fanciful voice technology still offers basic security.

Sticking to the basics and building up from there is the golden rule . . .

I have yet to see anyone choose a home with a large dog vs a home without one. I have yet to see a home selected that is well lit vs one that isn't. Since this is a camera forum the bulk of you can literally relate as to You are that guy! if you walk down your street and count 50 houses how many of them have a single camera never mind 4-64??? The odds a person will pick your house over a home that has no obvious camera is less likely.

This is affirmed by a home that has a prominent sign indicating this home is protected by X.

Having lived in different parts of Texas for almost twelve years seeing a no trespassing sign coupled with deadly force signage at my uncles. Five generations later, not a soul has ever tried to come on to the property or try to steal something from them.

Why???

Because the odds of you being shot dead and summarily tossed into the pig feed is 100% the outcome. Nobody is going to find any trace of you or blink an eye wondering Where did lil Johnny go??? :lmao:

Last edited: