How are you guys routing cables from your NVR with ports on the back?

B13

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at a Hikvision setup and wanted to mount the NVR in an existing rack. The camera cables would terminate into an existing panel, and I would patch between the panel and NVR. But... the NVR has all of the ports on the back. Am I just going to have to loop the patch cables around the rack to get to the panel? That wouldn't look nice.

I realize I could just patch the cameras to my switch but :

• I like the idea of plug and play as I've never setup a camera system before.
  • I like the idea of the NVR creating its own sub network where all camera traffic would be isolated and off the main switch, although its gigabit so not likely to bog down.
  • I don't have a POE switch already and it looks a lot cheaper to get the NVR with one included.

Sorry for obsessing over cables but the corner of my laundry room cant just be a big mess. How are you guys routing from your NVR to panels? Why don't they put the pots on the front? Can I just drill some holes on the NVR and mount it backwards?

HELP!!!!!!

Michelin Man

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It wouldn't look too bad if you had the right length cables.

You probably could drill holes and put rack mounts on the back of it to mount it in reverse. Just try not to hit the PSU when you're drilling the case as there is only a small gap. Not sure if you plan to glue nuts on the inside or what.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Get a second patch panel and mount it above the NVR. Run cables from the back of the NVR into the patch panel. Run short cables from patch panel to patch panel. That will create the neat look you are after and save you having to drill holes in the NVR, voiding your warranty.

B13

n3wb
Reaction score
Get a second patch panel and mount it above the NVR. Run cables from the back of the NVR into the patch panel. Run short cables from patch panel to patch panel. That will create the neat look you are after and save you having to drill holes in the NVR, voiding your warranty.
Great idea!