How Do I Pre-Configure An IP Camera for a Milestone System

Garak0410

n3wb
Reaction score
I am an IT Director and SOLO IT Person for a small multi-million dollar company. So to say I am expected to be a Jack of All IT Trades and an expert at nothing is an understatement. I am also often called out to the CEO's home.

Which is the case here. He has a Milestone IP Camera system set up at this large home and property. Someone else installed this along with multiple switches and audio connections. I'm guessing he either had a falling out with this contractor or he doesn't want to pay him.

A camera at this driveway gate is down. It is a LOREX LNB4173. So, I purchased another one to replace it with but I cannot find documentation on now to pre-configure it with an IP Address before connecting to the Milestone system. If I connect it and try to discover on his Milestone system, it doesn't find it.

I contacted Lorex and they said their cameras can only be configured with their NVR/DVR systems but obviously this worked before.

While the camera has failed (determined), I am not all together sure it isn't a combination of the camera, power injector, 5 port switch or media converter. But I do want to get camera configured to see if this is truly the resolution.

Is there an application I can install on my laptop to then connect a 192 network to to configure this camera?

So I am looking for suggestions on how to get this done and quickly. This is the camera at his main gate and wants it back up ASAP and I am struggling to know where to get started.

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua is likely the OEM so I'd try the Dahua Config Tool

I hope that when you get the new cam configured and install it that you'll *WEATHER-PROOF that connection in image #1 where the RJ-45 plugs into the cam's pigtail....it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't actually the problem. If so and there's corrosion, the existing RJ-45 male would need to be restore/cleaned; better yet, cut it off and re-terminate with a new RJ-45 of the correct type (for stranded, solid or combo) to T-568B standard.

*WEATHER-PROOFED: Before the pigtail is connected I would want to use dielectric grease on the RJ-45, plug it in, test then wrap the connector (going 1" past both ends of the connector and onto the cable) with a layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape (coax seal) then wrap that tightly with a layer of 3M 33+ electrical tape (to assist/speed up the curing of the rubber tape).

Garak0410

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua is likely the OEM so I'd try the Dahua Config Tool

I hope that when you get the new cam configured and install it that you'll *WEATHER-PROOF that connection in image #1 where the RJ-45 plugs into the cam's pigtail....it wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't actually the problem. If so and there's corrosion, the existing RJ-45 male would need to be restore/cleaned; better yet, cut it off and re-terminate with a new RJ-45 of the correct type (for stranded, solid or combo) to T-568B standard.

*WEATHER-PROOFED: Before the pigtail is connected I would want to use dielectric grease on the RJ-45, plug it in, test then wrap the connector (going 1" past both ends of the connector and onto the cable) with a layer of self-vulcanizing rubber tape (coax seal) then wrap that tightly with a layer of 3M 33+ electrical tape (to assist/speed up the curing of the rubber tape).
AWESOME Advice...been searching for an excellent reply in other forums and glad I found this one. I will download the Config Tool and start there...thank you SO much!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you ever run into the previous installer, slap him up side the head a couple of times. That belongs on the wall of shame thread.
I see exactly why your boss didn't want the other guy back. :banghead:

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Keep friends with the IT staff they said... it'll be helpful they said...

Good on you to help out- both career and (interest). There's a lot of neat things there. Maybe you can convince him to buy some additional cameras so you can 'experiment' at your own place ... but when the boss signs your paycheck, you do what they say.