How does the External Microphone channel, work?

Reaction score
(Camera config screen doesn't appear to have a setting to change which LINE the mic uses) Is it automatic?

USG Dome camera captures messages from Employees by motion but the audio is rubbish
The camera is a cheap USG dome camera with two way audio ability, I'm just trying to use a better microphone which hopefully disables the muffled factory mic. One problem is I don't know for sure which wire is Line IN.
(Wire color in the manual is WHITE/YELLOW but on the actual camera the wires are RED/WHITE)

When I plug the powered mic into the channel I believe to be "Line IN" both microphones are silent. When I unplug it again the camera microphone springs back to life.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you have a builtin microphone you almost never get the option for an external microphone.. what model of camera is this?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
(Camera config screen doesn't appear to have a setting to change which LINE the mic uses) Is it automatic?

USG Dome camera captures messages from Employees by motion but the audio is rubbish
The camera is a cheap USG dome camera with two way audio ability, I'm just trying to use a better microphone which hopefully disables the muffled factory mic. One problem is I don't know for sure which wire is Line IN.
(Wire color in the manual is WHITE/YELLOW but on the actual camera the wires are RED/WHITE)

When I plug the powered mic into the channel I believe to be "Line IN" both microphones are silent. When I unplug it again the camera microphone springs back to life.
Are you supplying power to the mic? The cam probably won't power an external mic.