How "fast" should the "New" folder storage medium be?

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been going through the settings and have moved the clip storage to my large drive pool (since the OS and blue iris are installed on a small SSD). I noticed the disclaimer though that the "New" folder should ideally be on fast storage. How fast is fast storage? Obviously it will be fine on the SSD, but I was hoping to move it off the SSD into the drive pool where there is a lot of space.

Here are the speed tests for fellow data junkies (Kingston V300 on left, pool of 7200rpm NAS HDDs on right, top results are random data, bottom are uncompressed data):

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How fast is fast storage?
I'm still new at this, so I could be way off base, but I'd think your storage speed has to exceed the combined bitrate of the cameras that you're recording.

If you click the Status icon in the main BI app (it looks like a bar graph) and then click the Cameras tab, it should show you the "live" bit rate from all of your cameras.

I record all of my cameras, and the combined bitrate is around 4200 kB/s, which I think converts to around 4.2 mB/s. I'm recording direct-to-disc to a 5400 WD Purple drive (that's also got the OS on it) connected to a SATA II port, and I've seen no issues with speed.

Like @looney2ns, I think they're meaning don't do the NEW folder to a network share over a 100MB connection, or a USB-2 thumb drive, or slow stuff like that.

adamrx7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What if I have a gigabit Ethernet connection from my computer (Asrock Extream6 MOB/ i7-4790 Devil Canyon) to a gigabit NAS? Would this work?

BlackLantern

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What if I have a gigabit Ethernet connection from my computer (Asrock Extream6 MOB/ i7-4790 Devil Canyon) to a gigabit NAS? Would this work?
Given the comments above, you'd probably be fine provided your network, switch, etc aren't overloaded with other traffic. You could always run some speed tests like the ones I did in the first post to verify your transfer rate.